Pupil Premium/FSM - grammar school data

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Pupil Premium/FSM - grammar school data

Post by Amber »

I can't find the original thread now but someone was asking if Pates were tweaking their entry criteria to favour poorer pupils.

Data published today has the average Gloucestershire school taking 19% of children with FSM over last 6 years.
For the grammars this is:

Pates: 1.6%
STR - 3.3%
HSFG - 3.5%
Ribston - 5.5%
Crypt - 5.8%
Marling - 3.9%
Stroud High - 3.6%

Interestingly, though some of the schools supposedly have a tiebreaker/oversubscription clause about FSM, it has hardly led to stellar access, has it? In fact Pates has this clause (vs e.g. STR which doesn't). There is also an interesting correlation between this and the data Cazien posted in the 'Rankings' thread on which were the 'best performing' grammars (though that puts STR at the top). This supports what lots of people have said - selection by ability is largely about selection by social class, very sadly - and the more selective the school the harder it is for poorer children to access it.
The link I used to do this was at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37679722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Pupil Premium/FSM - grammar school data

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:( :(
Frostythesnowman

Post by Frostythesnowman »

...which is why I was wondering what I was wondering about weightings etc. The thread was one of the rankings threads.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

but Frosty - the school legally cannot do this unless it is part of their published admissions criteria, which we were trying to point out on the original thread.

A GS could change their criteria, they could add FSM children to their list just under Looked After children. This would mean that a child who received a qualifying score would then be ranked at the top, they would jump up the list, so that they would be assured of a place.

But at the moment none of the schools do that, the most they have is that if 2 chidlrne have the same score, for the last available place, then the child with FSM gets it. That is hardly likely to increase the number at all.

A school cannot decide to adjust it's criteria wihtout publishing it. The school CAN chose to weight the scores as it likes, eg favour kids with higher score in Maths than English, but as that would apply to all the children it is fair.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

I would also point out that most of us in Gloucestershire have to pay to get our children to the grammar schools. Whilst a child may get a place at Pate's for instance, it is entirely possible that the parent cannot afford the bus fare to enable them to take up that place.
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

I am fairly sure that if you are receipt of FSM of WTC you can get free school transport to one of your three nearest schools if more than 2 miles away. I only know this because I butted heads with GCC about their SEN transport during my son's SEN transport appeal.

Just because a family doesn't claim FSM or WTC it doesn't mean they are well off by any means. So actually I am not completely comfortable with this approach. I'm not sure how it would work but surely it will discriminate against some children.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Jellyicecream wrote:I am fairly sure that if you are receipt of FSM of WTC you can get free school transport to one of your three nearest schools if more than 3 miles away. I only know this because I butted heads with GCC about their SEN transport during my son's SEN transport appeal.

Just because a family doesn't claim FSM or WTC it doesn't mean they are well off by any means. So actually I am not completely comfortable with this approach. I'm not sure how it would work but surely it will discriminate against some children.
Yes, but you are missing the point, if grammar schools are about allowing the most disadvantaged a fair crack of the whip then it make sense to deal with the lowest socialeconomic group first then work your way up from there.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

jellycat - i think that any child who lives more than 3 miles from their nearest school is entitled to free school transport.
But I think what fluffycat was saying is that most parents live more than that away form their GS and pay for the transport. There wouldn't be many kids with FSM who fullfilled all the criteria and got free transport would there?
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

Do any of the Grammars asks about pupil premium on the test registration? I thought that they did.
Jellyicecream

Post by Jellyicecream »

Hi steppemum, I think there would be a few. On looking at the policy I think it has been reduced from 3 miles to between 2-6 miles but only if you are in receipt of FSM. So I am approx 2 miles from my son's grammar school. It is his 2nd closest school, if my son had FSM he would qualify for free transport to his grammar.

He has an SEN so only qualifies for free transport to his closest school. Which is in special measures and **** would freeze over before I sent him there!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now