GCSE 2017 - AQA English language papers (new format) help!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

topsyturvy

GCSE 2017 - AQA English language papers (new format) help!

Post by topsyturvy »

GCSE 2017 - AQA English language papers will be the new format.

Only one specimen paper available from AQA, can anyone suggest if any more useful CGP or Letts guides available. Any other resources!

How to best prepare the DC for the new format?

Parents, Teachers and Tutors teaching this age group please suggest and comment,

with many many thanks!
Guest55

Re: GCSE 2017 - AQA English language papers (new format) hel

Post by Guest55 »

I would speak to his English teacher at school first.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Just bought CGP English Language AQA book from Amazon for the 9-1 course. Also the Unseen Poetry guide and the Poetry Guide: Love and Relationships Anthology as that is the topic they are doing. I got them from Amazon and are hoping they help. DD is a BIG fan of the CGP guides and we are now getting quite a collection!
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Guest55 wrote:I would speak to his English teacher at school first.
Thanks, have done and she is confident no that DC is doing OK.

Maybe it is just anxious me. :roll:
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

booellesmum wrote:Just bought CGP English Language AQA book from Amazon for the 9-1 course. Also the Unseen Poetry guide and the Poetry Guide: Love and Relationships Anthology as that is the topic they are doing. I got them from Amazon and are hoping they help. DD is a BIG fan of the CGP guides and we are now getting quite a collection!

Thank you, will have a look at these on Amazon.

They in school are doing the 'Power & Conflict' for poetry I am told.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The exam boards are sending teachers masses of additional resources ... they want to hang on to their market share.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I think that must be the other topic choice as there is an AQA guide for that as well!
Good luck with it all!
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Guest55 wrote:The exam boards are sending teachers masses of additional resources ... they want to hang on to their market share.
Thanks, shall check with the teacher on the upcoming meeting day.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

booellesmum wrote:I think that must be the other topic choice as there is an AQA guide for that as well!
Good luck with it all!
Thank you, found for power and conflict, bought them, hopefully will get in next couple of days. Perfect for half term!
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

topsyturvy wrote:GCSE 2017 - AQA English language papers will be the new format.

Only one specimen paper available from AQA, can anyone suggest if any more useful CGP or Letts guides available. Any other resources!

How to best prepare the DC for the new format?

Parents, Teachers and Tutors teaching this age group please suggest and comment,

with many many thanks!
Not sure many parents realise just how tough this new AQA 9-1 Eng Lang exam is. As a parent, I do. Reason being is that I don't know one school that has confidently got to grips with its rigourous content.

The Reading Element in Paper 1 can be easily practised. It will always be a passage and the questions are always the same. Amongst copious reading, it is best to scrutinise the first page in most non fiction novels. I have the writing element of Narrative/Descriptive covered as I have a book of model essays, where my children will rote learn about 8 of them.

The Reading element in Paper 2 will be challenging but can be practised readily using some resources I have located. Again, I have the persuasive essay covered.

Use the following resources

1) Brilliant cheap kindle book and free YouTube videos:

Kindle - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... s=Mr+gruff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YouTube - just google Mr Bruff YouTube

2) Keith Brindle Workbook and My Revision Notes - https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Speak ... th-Brindle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;