Camp Hill Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manon

Camp Hill Boys

Post by Manon »

We are in the fortunate but difficult position of trying to decide between Camp Hill Boys and KES in Stratford upon Avon. Logistics doesn't make the decision for us and we are struggling. For those of you with sons already at CHB, if you are able to impart any information as to your/your ds' experience there - good or bad - which might help us make the choice, I would be very grateful. I am aware that KES offers more in the way of languages but other than that, I'm not finding it easy to identify differences.

I did find some postings from a while back which suggested an issue with bullying at CHB - is that still a problem?

Many thanks.
mum1115

Re: Camp Hill Boys

Post by mum1115 »

My son is at CHB in yr 8, he absolutely loves it.
I don't know about bullying, my son hasn't (thankfully) experienced that. They did say at the induction for parents before the boys started in yr 7 that any school that denied any bullying at all was not being honest but that any bullying that did happen at chb would be dealt with - they just had to be told about it so they could sort it.
we had the same quandary as we really liked KES in stratford as well, but for us the journey wasn't quite as convenient to KES and son had a preference for CHB so we were guided by him mostly. which did your DS prefer?
11plus_enthusiast

Post by 11plus_enthusiast »

I don't have any experience to share on this topic. Going by the fact that admission to CHB is purely by scores but KE Stratford is by priority area, I assume there will be more competition academically in CHB. This would give a push towards the GCSE results.
I know the same applies between CHB and Fiveways as well. I am also considering my choice for my son between CHB, Fiveways and KE Stratford. Fiveways being a co-ed, I am not sure if that would be an advantage or disadvantage?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Stratford is probable the most competitive to gain entry too - despite the priority circle - I have explained in another thread how it is actually the top scorers who get offered places, regardless of where they live...and there are only 81 places.

Fundamentally you are choosing between all very good schools - it has to be the best fit for your son/ the best logistically as you want them to be able to enjoy and experience everything the school has to offer. Great situation to be in - good luck with the choice.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mum1115 wrote: They did say at the induction for parents before the boys started in yr 7 that any school that denied any bullying at all was not being honest but that any bullying that did happen at chb would be dealt with - they just had to be told about it so they could sort it.
True, bullying happens sadly in all schools ; staff at CHB is very responsive to any alert given to them. Actually, I really liked the speech the head of year seven did at the year 7 induction evening last June (I was trying to prick my ears very well to catch his words as I was in the entry hall :roll: ; I think next year, I will ask the permission to listen to the speeches as I love speeches :D ).
Before my DS moved to CHB from his primary school, he was badly bullied by a boy, who - to cap it all from our point of view - was also having a place at CHB. Having to meet my DS's school headmistress to deal with the bullying problem, I asked her if she could ask CHB to put the two boys in two different forms. She answered me that anyway, the school was in contact with CHB to inform the appropriate staff there about the behavioural issues of that little boy, so she would add my request during the mail correspondence with CHB. As a consequence, in year 7, my DS was not in the same form as his bully. :D :D
However, my DS got bullied by another boy in his form in year 7 :roll: . All down to my own fault ( shyness + language barrier + not wanting to make a fuss), I took a lot of time to inform the school about this problem. Once I addressed my complaint, that has been dealt with efficiently. :D :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

11plus_enthusiast wrote: Going by the fact that admission to CHB is purely by scores but KE Stratford is by priority area, I assume there will be more competition academically in CHB. This would give a push towards the GCSE results.
kenyancowgirl wrote:Stratford is probable the most competitive to gain entry too - despite the priority circle - I have explained in another thread how it is actually the top scorers who get offered places, regardless of where they live...and there are only 81 places.
I am afraid I have to argue with the statement that I have highlighted in bold. Why? Because CHB also takes the top scores and it is an extremely sought-after school, being one of the best state schools in the country:
- For GCSE, King Edward VI is the twenty first in the country, whilst CHB is the fourth.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... l-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- For A levels, KES Stratford is twenty first in the country, whilst CHB is the fourteenth.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... e-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As many of you are aware of, there is much debate on the validity of league tables which are sometimes to be taken with a pinch of salt (Do they take into consideration the iGCSE results or not?). Therefore, the best thing to do is to compare % of A/A* results at GCSE and the % of A*/B results at A level; I let you do the comparaison ( good luck with the number crunching! :wink: ):

For KES Stratford, you find them here:

GCSE results 2014-2015:
http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ebsite.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A level results 2014-2015:
http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ebsite.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note that at A level, KES Stratford students studies the PRE-U in English and French ( this is not the case at CHB so do not compare this two results together for these two subjects).

For CHB you find them here:
http://www.camphillboys.bham.sch.uk/about/exam-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At A level, KES Stratford offers these subjects that CHB doesn’t:
- classical civilisation
- Latin
- Ancient Greek
- Physical Education
- Psychology
- Spanish
- Theatre Studies
kenyancowgirl wrote: Fundamentally you are choosing between all very good schools - it has to be the best fit for your son/ the best logistically as you want them to be able to enjoy and experience everything the school has to offer. Great situation to be in - good luck with the choice.
Agree with this!
good luck with your cogitations! :wink: and congrats for your DC's results! :D
11plus_enthusiast

Post by 11plus_enthusiast »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Stratford is probable the most competitive to gain entry too - despite the priority circle - I have explained in another thread how it is actually the top scorers who get offered places, regardless of where they live...and there are only 81 places.
I am not able to understand, how KE Stratford will offer places for children living outside the area? I have received a letter from Warwickshire exam board with a score and over all ranking (15th). However since I don't live in the priority area, I understand we wont be offered a place because their cutoff goes up to around 232 and people in the area are offered seats. So though my son has 254, he does not have a chance of getting there. I would like to choose KE Startford over CHB, but I dont think I will get it. I will still put that as my 1st pref.
Could you please point me why you think the offer is made in any other way? Thanks
Manon

Post by Manon »

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Mum1115 - unfortunately DS can't choose between the two either.

11plus_enthusiast - I don't get the bit about the top scorers getting the places despite the priority circle either. Kenyancowgirl, I don't suppose you could give us the link to your other post as I haven't been able to find it? We also originally had Fiveways on the shortlist just from looking at the map, but having tried the journey have counted it out as being too far/long. As has been suggested now by a number of people on a number of posts, ds needs a life outside school, homework and the journey to/from school. If it wasn't so far, it would definitely be in the equation so in a way I am quite glad it is. We haven't therefore really considered the single sex/co-ed point. Ds isn't bothered at the moment - long may that continue! CHB does seem to have a fair bit of interaction with CHG, especially in the 6th form, so that is probably in its favour.

JaneEyre - as well as the other information, thank you for your clarification about the bullying (it was your comment a while back that had raised my concern). From what you and Mum115 have said, I don't think I need to worry (and can't count CHB out on that score then!)

Will continue mulling over...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Manon wrote: JaneEyre - as well as the other information, thank you for your clarification about the bullying (it was your comment a while back that had raised my concern).
If you read carefully my comment a while back, you will notice that it was to answer a question raised on the topic of pastoral care at CHB. I precisely explained in that post that bullying was dealt with seriously by the school!! So I am alarmed that my post made you worried! Here is what I wrote:
Like for um, the pastoral care provided for our DS has always been fine. I had a little issue of bullying from the first week of year 7 which I have flagged up only after more than a year (I know, I shouldn’t have waited for so long really and it is down to my own shyness). Once alerted, the school has intervened swiftly and efficiently.

I am just glad that everything is crystal clear now in your mind!

Wishing you all a happy mulling over! :wink:
imranb

Post by imranb »

Mulling time over for us! CAF submitted online. Now waiting for 1st March 2017 :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now