Needhelp's Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Needhelp

Needhelp's Bucks appeal

Post by Needhelp »

Hello. I'm considering whether to ask for a review for my child who scored 115. He was expected to score quite a bit better than he did, and on looking at the subject breakdown statistics, I can see he performed quite poorly in maths which is the subject he is most strong at.

I have read all the things in the links (many thanks for posting those - they are really helpful), and I have 3 small questions I wondered if anyone might be able to help with please. Assuming (hoping!) the school will support us, firstly, would it be possible to run a review based principally on the maths element being totally out of line with his normal maths ability, or would we need to show he was very strong across verbal/English too (he is not as strong in that area). He did very well in the NVR section.

Secondly, looking at the good practice section in the guidance document, it talks about academic evidence plus evidence of why he was knocked off course on the day. He clearly had a bad day, but I can't point to a particular trauma that could have caused it. In the absence of anything, is it much less likely we will succeed?

And thirdly, I see we can ask for a hand remark for £28. Is that likely to achieve anything? Would that pick up perhaps if he had marked the boxes too faintly for the computer to read? I'm trying to think what situations that may help with.

I'm sorry for such a long post. I'm really grateful for any advice anybody can give on any of this. Many thanks.
Sally-Anne

Re: Needhelp's Bucks appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

As you had posted this on another thread in the Bucks section, it had got lost, so I have split it out into the Appeals section for you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals - and thank you for your kind words. :D
Needhelp wrote:would it be possible to run a review based principally on the maths element being totally out of line with his normal maths ability, or would we need to show he was very strong across verbal/English too (he is not as strong in that area). He did very well in the NVR section.
I think it likely they will look at the overall picture, as well as the maths.
However, the information they're interested in will be on the headteacher's selection review summary sheet, so you yourself could try and put the focus on maths if you wanted to.
Secondly, looking at the good practice section in the guidance document, it talks about academic evidence plus evidence of why he was knocked off course on the day. He clearly had a bad day, but I can't point to a particular trauma that could have caused it. In the absence of anything, is it much less likely we will succeed?
It would appear to be a potential weakness, in the light of their statement: “the SRP will normally expect there to be strong evidence of both high academic ability and exceptional reasons for underperformance in the tests” [my bold print].
And thirdly, I see we can ask for a hand remark for £28. Is that likely to achieve anything? Would that pick up perhaps if he had marked the boxes too faintly for the computer to read? I'm trying to think what situations that may help with.
You've probably seen:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For £28, you get a manual re-mark, plus confirmation of the scores.
It might provide a degree of reassurance - but, beyond that, we are told that the information provided is minimal.
Etienne
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

Thank you Sally-Anne for moving my post, and Etienne for your thoughts. I have now spoken to the head and she says she would strongly support a review. She assessed my son as a 2:1. It is a large school and she has a proven track record of accurate assessments, and sits on review panels herself - obviously not for our school though. I am hoping to get her report/summary sheet tomorrow to see what else she says.

I have thought of something I could say for extenuating circumstances but it is very specific to our child, so would easily identify him to other parents from our school if I posted details on here. Would you mind if I sent you a private message with the details to see whether you thought I would be barking up the wrong tree with the idea?

Many thanks again. This site really is so useful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Needhelp wrote:It is a large school and she has a proven track record of accurate assessments,
That sounds promising. :)
I have thought of something I could say for extenuating circumstances but it is very specific to our child, so would easily identify him to other parents from our school if I posted details on here. Would you mind if I sent you a private message with the details to see whether you thought I would be barking up the wrong tree with the idea?
It's not possible to PM me, but you can send an email to the Appeals Box if you wish:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

Thanks Etienne. I've managed to talk through my thoughts on our particular extenuating circumstances with our Head, and she thinks it is worth a run, especially as they feel strongly about his academic situation (she said). So we're going to stick it in and cross everything! But not tell our little man as we know the stats for successful reviews on his score are not great and I don't want to build his hopes up. Thanks again for all the advice on here. I'll post in February to let you know he we got on.
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

Hello I'm back! So much for thinking I knew what I was doing! I have the head's summary sheet now, and would be really grateful if somebody could help me to understand what the scores mean please.

So suitability is a 2:1 which I think is pretty good.

Then the rest of it is:
Ks1 - no SATS results
End of yr 3 - EXS 3a reading, EXS 3b writing, EXS 3a maths
End of yr 4 - EXS 4b+. EXS 4b+. EXS 4b+
End of yr 5 - EXS met age exp EXS met age exp EXS attained upper end of age exp
End of yr 6 predict - EXS (100-110) EXS. EXS (111-120)

The school then confirms pupil premium category in exceptional circumstances bit, and something else (which is very specific to our child which would make him recognisable to other parents on here, so I won't mention).

And then a nice bit in the additional info section saying, essentially, he is a nice kid to have at the school.

He has a STTS of 115.

To me (having never seen this scoring system before) he looks like he is doing very nicely academically, but is nothing particularly amazing. Is that a fair understanding of it?

I don't think this stacks up to a strong case on review. Do you think I am being too pessimistic, or just realistic?

As before, I am very grateful for any thoughts or advice anyone is able to give.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think a review panel is looking for Year 5 levels 'above age expectations' and also KS2 scores of 110+.

Is the Head going to write a supporting statement?
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

Thanks Guest55. I suspected that may be the case that they would be looking for something higher with the grades. She hasn't sent a supporting statement. There is just the paragraph at No 6 on the form which deals with additional information which just says nice things about him - all very lovely to read as his mum (a very good playground leader etc) but nothing that looks remotely helpful or relevant to a review. Should I be asking for something more from the head?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ideally there would just be supporting academic comments maybe alluding to how the 'special issue' might impact on attainment and/or STTS.

I hope Etienne's will also comment later ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now