Townley Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mads00

Townley Grammar

Post by Mads00 »

Hi

My DD got a score of 212 in the Bexley test - 4 under the pass mark - but the letter from Bexley council said that for the 2016 intake, Townley Grammar was able to offer places to girls who were 'just under' the pass mark so still put Townley on the list if we want to go there.

Does anyone here have any experience of what that pass mark was for the 2016 intake?

I need to complete the CAF shortly and wonder if it's worth keeping Townley on the list. It was my first choice if she had passed but I don't want to put it top of my list and possibly lose a space at an outstanding state school waiting for a GS place that may never materialise.

We live in Greenwich and, according to Google Maps, are less than 4 miles away. A current Year 8 student lives 2 doors down and got in with the minimum pass mark for her year, 215, so I assume we are in the catchment area.

Thanks
Mads
ToadMum

Re: Townley Grammar

Post by ToadMum »

Mads00 wrote:Hi

My DD got a score of 212 in the Bexley test - 4 under the pass mark - but the letter from Bexley council said that for the 2016 intake, Townley Grammar was able to offer places to girls who were 'just under' the pass mark so still put Townley on the list if we want to go there.

Does anyone here have any experience of what that pass mark was for the 2016 intake?

I need to complete the CAF shortly and wonder if it's worth keeping Townley on the list. It was my first choice if she had passed but I don't want to put it top of my list and possibly lose a space at an outstanding state school waiting for a GS place that may never materialise.

We live in Greenwich and, according to Google Maps, are less than 4 miles away. A current Year 8 student lives 2 doors down and got in with the minimum pass mark for her year, 215, so I assume we are in the catchment area.

Thanks
Mads
If you put Townley first and the comprehensive (grammars are state schools too) second, assuming that you would rank highly enough against the admissions criteria for the comprehensive to be sure of a place, the outcomes vis a vis the two would be:

Place offered at Townley
or
Place offered at comprehensive, put on waiting list for Townley.

You only 'lose' a place at a school you ranked lower down on your CAF by being offered a place at a school you named as a higher preference. But if you get your higher preference, it doesn't matter that you won't get an offer from your lower preference, does it, because you got something that you would rather have instead :)

Don't try to second guess the allocations system. It makes no value judgement, it just assumes you meant what you said you wanted in the order you ranked your preferences.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lefol

Post by lefol »

I completely agree with Toad mum and would suggest you put Townley as first but given your dd was not deemed selective, you may not be offered Townley and as such the second one on your list for example, St Catherines will then automatically become your first choice and you can then go on the waiting list for Townley and be offered a place if they decide to offer places to those who score just less than the cut off score. Towny have offered to those who missed by one or two points once they have offered to all who pass and name Townley on the CAF. The school may be able to give you the exact number of candidates offered with lower scores.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Mads00 wrote: My DD got a score of 212 in the Bexley test - 4 under the pass mark - ..... Does anyone here have any experience of what that pass mark was for the 2016 intake?
If you haven't already come across it may find it interesting that Almondcross posted on here only this month stating that for September 2016 entry her DD was two points off the pass and hadn't been offered Townley.
Mads00

Post by Mads00 »

Thank you everyone. I have put Townley first on the CAF and will wait and see what happens. I hadn't considered GS until the start of Yr 5 so was maybe a little behind with tutoring (currently gently DIYing it with my Yr 2 son with a EHCP so here's hoping) so not too disappointed she didn't pass. Thankfully I didn't go to any open evenings so haven't seen the promised land!
lefol

Post by lefol »

Did she not take the Kent test? if you live in Bexley, there are some good comprehensive schools for girls locally too .