Papers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
snowy

Papers

Post by snowy »

Would like to ask a quick question re the papers you are all doing with your children. Are you using standard or multiple choice? My son has completed a couple of standard tests at home on NFER and got around the 80% mark. (This is because the area we are in - the first test school is doing Standard Papers). I am worried as he is very bright - in the top couple of pupils in a clever year - however I see a lot of posts on this site stating their children are receiving results well into the 90 percent area (and these parents are worrying ig their children are bright enough?????). Is the multiple choice easier or are their very bright children out there?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Snowy

There are fors and againsts re standard/multiple choice formats.

Has your son attempted the tests blindly or have you expalined thoroughly the method/techniques first?

If you havn't run through the techniques, then its like attempting a driving test, without taking any lessons. As a tutor, I always [ in the beginning] teach the techniques of each test they are about to complete.

If your son has completed the tests blindy, then 80% is a very good showing. What part of the country are you from?

At the moment, the best publication for teaching techniques is IPS.

Patricia
snowy

papers

Post by snowy »

My son has been receiving tuituin for 6 months - I thought I would see how he got on on the papers at home. I am from the Birmingham area.
snowy

papers

Post by snowy »

Please ignore the terrible typing. I am trying to do this at work without drawing attention to myself - ha ha
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Snowy

Have you checked out the Birmingham section further down the board, it suggests that tests are set by the University of Durham Curriculum, Evaluation & Management Centre.

If your son has been receiving tuition for 6 months, I must assume he has completed many tests for her/him, has he been scoring well? Is the tutor working in accordance with the above organisation? Is Nfer applicable?

I know I am not being terribly helpful, I am not an expert on Birmingham.

Good Luck

Patricia
snowy

papers

Post by snowy »

Kings Edwards papers are by Durham University - the local LEA Grammar School is standard papers by NFER. My son has not as yet completed tests at tuition as they started the complete tests during the holidays when we were away. He has however had homework sheets and lessons in the same format.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Snowy

Unfortunately I do not know the exact types of questions used for standard Nfer in Birmingham. It certainly does not have to be the same type used in the NFER, shop bought tests [ Lincs NFER test includes, in addition, position codes and grids, have a look at their section, question types for Lincs ]

Your tutor should know the 'going' pass rate and whether 80% is adequate, find out from her/him what the different types of questions are. The sheets he is bringing home, do they cover all the types, what are they? Are they the same as the shop bought NFER or extra?

I am, in no way condemning your tutor, however six months seems a long time just to learn the techniques, with no tests. I am not trying to panic you, just trying to get a clearer picture. Did the tutor come on recommendation, do they have a good/high pass rate?

When is the real test?

So many questions?

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi there, i am getting worried.

My child is getting less than 80% on comprehension, am i to be worried as the tests are a month away?