Bike Safety

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Bike Safety

Post by doodles »

Time for my annual plea.

Please remind/insist/stamp you feet and have a paddy at the cyclists in your family about high visibility and lights now it's getting darker and gloomy.

I personally have already had to do a double take at a cyclist dressed head to foot in black with no lights who was riding under a canopy of trees. He couldn't be seen but luckily I looked again.

I'm the wife and mother of cyclists (not just a motorist!) and I know I sound like a broken record about visibility and helmets and I know it's a faff sometimes but so is a broken bone (or God forbid worse) so please remind them.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KB

Re: Bike Safety

Post by KB »

The safety is paramount but as an added incentive it is a fineable offence not to have bike lights.
At the start of term local bobbies catch a few in student areas as a warning to others.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Very good and timely advice doodles. One of my dh's colleagues was hit by a car a few months back and sadly died at the scene. :( :cry: The car driver claimed she hadn't seen him. So sad.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am still horrified by the number of kids/adults I see riding with no helmets, let alone visible gear. If nothing else, if you are unseen, at least the helmet gives you a fighting chance...
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

I personally am struggling with this in the mornings too. The sun is shining bright and even with the shades on the visibility is poor.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I am still horrified by the number of kids/adults I see riding with no helmets, let alone visible gear. If nothing else, if you are unseen, at least the helmet gives you a fighting chance...
I pass quite a few kids going to the local school when I walk the dog - most have no helmet but some do although it is invariably hanging from the handle bars rather than being on the head it is supposed to protect.