Reviews of Ilford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bananas

Reviews of Ilford

Post by Bananas »

Considering where to send DS who is in year 5. Very clever but probably Aspergers.

Anyone know what Ilford is like as a school and is area around the school safe for a child to walk to bus or tube? I've never been round there so don't know anything, we live by Woodford.

If anyone knows how they are with SEN that would be brilliant. Current state primary is amazing with him but have had to make lots of changes for him, like he takes teddy bears to school and will be getting his own tent. Been round two comprehensives one was dire for SEN, one couldn't have been nicer. Thanks for any help.
nethermancer

Re: Reviews of Ilford

Post by nethermancer »

I too have ASD and was only diagnosed after reaching age 40. Y5 gives a narrow window to change things before "too late" - experts will be able to advise. My time at secondary school was not too bad (rose tinted specs probably) and today's schools are more enlightened. They also tend to be more jobsworths as well so don't expect anything if not statemented.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Thank you. We are in the process of having him assessed for Aspergers but he's done things like logarithm calculations in his head for a few years now and he's only 9. He hides under tables a lot at school. He doesn't have a formal diagnosis but we are on waiting list and school are applying for EHCP, new name for statements.

Current school and Head are amazing with him but just turned up to school today to be told the Head has "resigned to seek opportunities elsewhere" with a knife in the back and is leaving today. :shock: I hate the governing body, he's an amazing head. So many kids, staff and parents in tears. He's given my son a full time TA from school budget. My son asked what has he done, the only thing could be is he's too friendly.
Pasta

Post by Pasta »

It's amazing how a school with amazing teachers and head can change a childs life so much, I hope he continues to get the support in current school and into secondary.

I don't know much about ilford county high, only that it is very competitive to get into,even more so than with Woodford county?

Ilford county high school is located in Barkingside very close to the high street, looks safe enough and there are many surrounding schools. When we go pass to get to Redbridge sports centre for school matches, there are lots of kids coming out from their respective schools to catch buses home.

I was made aware of an incident recently in ilford (in the ilford recorder recently), however the fact is all kids need to be vigilant and it can happen anywhere.
worried parent

Post by worried parent »

My DS obtained score of 108.56 for Ilford County. 373 passed for only 180 places. Why don't Redbridge anonymise all scores so parents have a realistic chance of knowing whether to put the school higher up the preference list. An example being how many scored more or less than your child would be extremely helpful.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

worried parent wrote:My DS obtained score of 108.56 for Ilford County. 373 passed for only 180 places. Why don't Redbridge anonymise all scores so parents have a realistic chance of knowing whether to put the school higher up the preference list. An example being how many scored more or less than your child would be extremely helpful.
That is the number passing, I think, who either sat the exam at ICHS or sat it elsewhere but asked to have their raw score included in the Redbridge cohort? Admittedly, the 'extras' should ad pretty minimal, given that Redbridge makes it crystal clear in its guidance for parents that unless you live within the Common Catchment Area, your child's chance of a Redbridge grammar school place is effectively zero, but given the number of people posting on this site who have obviously never even looked at their home LA's secondary transfer guidance, let alone that for the OOC schools they want to apply to, you might be in luck and find that a number of those boys live out of area, or are resident within the CCA but will choose to put a CSSE school / Latymer / QE etc first on their CAF.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
worried parent

Post by worried parent »

ToadMum wrote:
worried parent wrote:My DS obtained score of 108.56 for Ilford County. 373 passed for only 180 places. Why don't Redbridge anonymise all scores so parents have a realistic chance of knowing whether to put the school higher up the preference list. An example being how many scored more or less than your child would be extremely helpful.
That is the number passing, I think, who either sat the exam at ICHS or sat it elsewhere but asked to have their raw score included in the Redbridge cohort? Admittedly, the 'extras' should ad pretty minimal, given that Redbridge makes it crystal clear in its guidance for parents that unless you live within the Common Catchment Area, your child's chance of a Redbridge grammar school place is effectively zero, but given the number of people posting on this site who have obviously never even looked at their home LA's secondary transfer guidance, let alone that for the OOC schools they want to apply to, you might be in luck and find that a number of those boys live out of area, or are resident within the CCA but will choose to put a CSSE school / Latymer / QE etc first on their CAF.
I hope so, but it not very clear as to how many of the 373 will choose ICHS. The easiest thing would have been a ranking indicating where DS was placed so to make the choice of preference easier. Anybody on here who doesn't mind sharing scores that would be useful. :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now