Starting our journey for 2017.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sparklecat

Starting our journey for 2017.

Post by Sparklecat »

So, finally we are here, preparing for 2017. Anyone care to join me? Any hints and tips from those who have got the T-shirt?

Generally speaking, my child has been on the top tables, seems OK on bond online questions, but occasionally jumps to the wrong answer without thinking.

We are also taking the Medway test as a back up.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Starting our journey for 2017.

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Do take some mock tests. It helps with environment, learning to juggle paper, notes and answer sheet. Do practice with paper not just online. Practice on a small desk. Also look at timing. DD found the timing in parts of Kent really tight (test of 2015) - this was a girl who often did the Letts ten minute tests in half the time or less.

Kent isn't tough if you just need a pass and your child is already capable. We didn't have a tutor but did do practice at home, most of it by DD herself which we then checked and set areas on what she wasn't do well at. You don't need to do too much otherwise they will find it all too boring and it will turn into something negative. We did an hour once a week in Y5 and then half an hour a day in the summer holidays. Even then we were also doing the Bexley and NW tests so we in theory had more to cover.

Good luck
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Thanks. That's really helpful.

Will be having private tuition to make sure all exam techniques and syllabus are covered. Also, having been closely involved with my child's education, I feel the need to take a step back so they can work independently. I don't feel qualified for this challenge, so will be more ensuring we have the tools and materials required.

I was very surprised to read they only need 50% marks to pass. Is time an issue in all exams? They have the knowledge to tackle most questions, but we have not begun on timings or exam discipline yet.
Animalmad

Post by Animalmad »

Hello!! We are joining you! Can't believe it finally our turn!

We have just started out with some bond 10 min tests and his private tuition starts this weekend. I intend to enter him for mocks etc cause he's most nervous about the exam conditions.

Where in Kent are you? We are Maidstone. We will be doing Medway too for back up!

It's all rather scary!
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

We are close by. As I understand it, you only need a pass for both MGGS and IGS.

Bond books and online are all we have used so far. Am I right in thinking we are not CEM?

I think my biggest hurdle will be building up for the rigours of a long exam.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Good luck!

You are right that Kent don;t do CEM
More info here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nt-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll find suitable materials for the Kent test in the book shop, search by region.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Sparklecat wrote:I think my biggest hurdle will be building up for the rigours of a long exam.
It may seem big and I am sure you don't project this onto your DC but do reassure them that the test is in the format of chunks of time, it isn't one long slog. For our DD the Kent test was the longest of the three grammar tests (barring the indie test) she did. For Kent a big part of that was the writing piece at the end which is only used if the child is borderline. We told DD to relax and not worry after the main part of the test and for the written piece to just do what she felt upto. It left her with lots of energy, not feeling like she was holding back in the main test for that little more to prove. She said she actually enjoyed that part of the test as she was just doing what she wanted, not what the testers were hoping to see.

Good luck on your journeys.
Sas1

Post by Sas1 »

We have just started our journey too for Sept17.
DD particularly headstrong and already battling, maybe a long year :lol:
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi everyone! Third time around for me. DD2 will be sitting Kent in 2017 as well as Bexley, Newstead and possibly Bromley High. We're OOC for Kent. I have DD1 who has just started DGS 6th form and DS in year 10 at DGS.

Sas1 - my DD is also very headstrong. Will be good to have some support along the way :?
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

Hi ya,

2nd time round for me, my first DD is in Rochester Grammar but my second daughter currently in Year 5 seems to need that extra push compared to her sister. The journey ahead seems rough!!!