Heavy handed moderating

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zaphod beeblebrox

Heavy handed moderating

Post by zaphod beeblebrox »

I have been reading the recently locked thread with interest.The problem appears to be with one member who happens to charge for some of his services around this time of the year, namely Appeals and has tried his utmost to blatently get his name all over the Kent section of the forum.

His website is free and of some use to parents in that region.

If a site has a deficiency in a certain area then is it not better to offer advice from elsewhere until the deficiency has been rectified?

Perhaps if he paid his pieces of silver then he could post what he wishes and help parents during a very stressful time whilst making a tidy sum for himself.

He currently links to this site from his own at no charge or restriction and I know this because ... well actually I have no connection with him.

I think that this should be a national site not Buckinghamshire-centric. .This site has much to offer on other aspects of a child's education at 11+.

He only gives advice on one region and he does not compete with other areas on this site since that is his main area of business, making money out of distressed parents who are appealing.

ZB
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear zaphod beeblebrox

To say I do not care is an absolute disgrace and I take complete and utter umbrage. However...

Perhaps you do not quite understand the Forum rules. It is quite clear that links cannot be made to commercial websites. Peter has a commercial website, he has been treated in exactly the same way as any other member.

There are many,many professionals who give their help and advice FREELY on this forum. Nobody is stopping Peter from doing the same!

The information on the website is out of date, and will be updated. The information within the stickies on the forum are correct.
'

Patricia

NB to anyone reading my message at a later date, it was in reply to a completely different post by the above member, his original post has been 'majorly' edited.
chad

Post by chad »

The forum rules are quite easy to understand....
There cannot be any links within posts to websites that charge for services.
There are many tutors that give advice for free on this forum and do not expect any link to their chargeable services.

The moderator who locked the thread was abiding by the 'forum' rules, if you have a specific issue with the website itself then I suggest you talk directly with them.

I have no knowledge of Kent myself but am very aware that the fact the forum does not allow chargeable links within a post means that there is no reason anyone should post unless they are willing to give free impartial advice.
zaphod beeblebrox

Post by zaphod beeblebrox »

Both of your replies do not answer my questions.
I also note that neither of you are from Kent?Surely somebody must be responsible for checking?
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry but to clarify.... we do not have programming powers over the website..... all moderators are unpaid and offer their services freely giving advice where they can or pointing in the right direction....as I said before.... please contact the website directly concerning anything other than the forum.
Personal insults and text 'shouting', when you have had curteous replies, can not achieve any desirable outcome.....pls note I am neither condoning, censoring or taking umbrage.. :)
chad

Post by chad »

That is exactly what I have said ...please contact the site management.....not the forum. :)
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Please,please,please zap this thread.

Very unpleasant tone for reading at this time of night or any other time.

Every thing is very we11 explained.

What is your beef, zaphod? :?

I am not affiliated to anybody on this forum but some of the points you raised were fu11y explained to you and it seems very clear even to me who is not from Kent.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

What I'm afraid isn't clear to me at all is exactly why the information about the Kent 11+ on the website is so out of date, despite the numerous posts pointing this out and the offers to supply correct information?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bexley Mum 2

The website is updated.

The Forum Sticky is correct.

Patricia
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Patricia - any idea when? I've seen posts about the fact that the information about Kent is wrong going back months and months ago, yet nothing seems to happen. I know there is a sticky with the correct information here, but I worry that people will look at the wrong information and be misled. Surely it would be better to have a blank page and a message that details will be provided in due course rather than to run the risk of people being misled by wrong information? I'm not criticising the fantastic job you and the other moderators do, I'm just puzzled as to why, despite the regular comments, the Kent site is not amended.