Access to papers

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

medway222

Access to papers

Post by medway222 »

Would it be possible to obtain your childs 11 plus exam papers to see if they were marked correctly? (under the freedom of info act)? I have just read previous threads(1 year ago) where papers were marked incorrectly (one by 4 marks!) I know the chances of this happening are extremely rare!! But cant help wondering as my DD got 2 marks out, really by 1 mark as the scores are then doubled (standardised) Has anybody asked for this information??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I doubt that it would be the FOI act (which doesn't apply to personal data), but the Data Protection Act.

In some authorities headteachers can request a re-mark. In other authorities parents can request a re-mark for a nominal charge. I believe there was one authority mentioned on the forum a year or two ago that made arrangements for parents to see the test papers.

I suggest in the first instance that you just ask your authority what their usual policy is.
Etienne
magwich

Post by magwich »

I am in Warwickshire and was told by the education authority here that we will be able to see the actual papers. Good luck.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Here in Gloucestershire the papers are available at the appeal, and for everyone to inspect. The school side at my appeals tends to do a manual remark for borderline cases (normally they are marked by machine). It would be quite hard to remark them yourself without having the question paper or answer crib sheet!

I would certainly encourage you to request a manual re-mark.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This was posted a year ago. Those in Kent might wish to keep an eye open for anything similar this year.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2426
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Exam papers appear to be exempt from the data protection act:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/what_we_cove ... ation.aspx

- but authorities have the discretion to make them available if they choose to do so.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now