well done everybody

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frantic

well done everybody

Post by frantic »

First of all I would like to say a big well done to all the children that were successful in their 11+ quest. My son unfortunately was not, however, he was really pleased with his allocated school. We found out together on Tuesday after school, and probably due to the fact that we have never made a big thing about the test he doesn't feel that he has 'failed' and neither do we, we feel that he will do very well at his chosen school.

My point today is that alot of the children at his school who didn't meet the 236 level didn't get either their 2nd or 3rd choice and it is them I feel extremely sorry for! there were alot of tears and upset due to this. At 10 & 11 years old I feel the pressure they are put under is immense. I remember when I took the 11+ many years ago, there were no tutors or practice papers and the results were a true reflection of each childs ability.

Enough of my rambling well done again, you must all be extremely proud of your children whether they met the criteria or not!!

Take care Frantic ***
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

I think a lot of the problem is that it brings home the fact that our kids are growing up too fast. The fact that so many move these days to schools with only a few of their friends makes the leap from primary to secondary school appear that much greater.
hari

Post by hari »

this 11+ malarkey....it boils down (the emotional part) to all of us being sorrowful at dealing with our child's disappointment and our child perhaps not feeling 'good enough'. if it didn't pass.
okay my kidlet did pass so my fears weren't realised..yours didn't and you seem to have been normal rational people over it. on the day my dd passed her 7 yo brother was awful all day, butting in to conversations ,being loud and attention seeking....sort of understandable when big sis is getting all the attention and you are only 7,However come 6.00pm when we are about to go out for a celebratory meal he starts to sob 'I'm scared I won't pass the 11+'.....ffs ......talk about a wake up call, :roll: FRANTIC I hope your kid goes from strength to strength and like I said in one of my other posts lets all meet up again on here in 5 years and compare the experience then............x
frantic

well done everybody

Post by frantic »

Thanks Hari, I also have a younger son only 5, so will have to go through this again in a few years. I will approach it in exactly the same way though, but do feel the pressure will be slightly less as I know he will get a place at my older sons school if he doesn't get WGSB.

This morning I was at football practice with my youngest & was speaking to a mum who has a DD in year 4. She is already panicking that her DD will not get a place at her 2nd choice school due to this years allocations. I think its very sad that she is already feeling this pressure as whatever school she puts down there is no way to guarantee getting it! I actually feel very lucky!

Take care Frantic :lol:
hari

Post by hari »

This years allocations seem to be particulary bad if your choices contained either wirral girls/boys....I'm on the deeside of wirral so all the kids in my dd school were going for upton/anselms...calday/ w/kirby....I know those who didn't pass got their second choices. Sounds like there are some real horror stories out there. Does anyone know what school they are giving kids as the 'default' school? our headteacher told us that in the previous years for our school it was 'wallasey school'. this year does seem to have been very different and back to how it used to be years ago...god frantic at least you and your son have a school allocation you seem very happy with , imagine what it would be like to get a school your kid can't bear to go to..........there seems no end to the variations of horror this allocation business can bring.
frantic

wel done everybody

Post by frantic »

The default school for our area seems to be Bebington High, this is where a lot of the children from my DS school have been allocated a place. We did look around Beb & it is a school with good facilities but I knew it wasn't the school I wanted my DS to go to. He has a place at South Wirral. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to open the letter & discover your child has a place in a school you don't want them to go to, how helpless people must be feeling at this moment. I know there are about half the parents of children in my DS year appealing. As I said before I feel very lucky!

Take care Frantic :lol:
hari

Post by hari »

I think south wirral is a fab school AND I've got a really nice tale to tell about the kids from there...
I was coming home from Chester on the bus (whoopee) around Xmas . I was having a peek at a book I'd bought hubby about the oldest remaining WW1 veteran Harry Patch. As I was looking a load of lads aged about 16 got on from SW.I inwardly groaned cos I was sat at the back of the bus and obviously they ended up sat all around me. They were all talking the usual rubbish lads of that age do when one of them noticed the book ...they then started discussing whether they would have been brave enough to fight in the trenches and it all got a bit emotional!!!
Anyhow I got off that bus really proud not only were they lovely they had give me a sharp lesson in not judging every long haired ,spotty ,backside on show lad on the wirral. They were a credit to the school.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Frantic,

I've just written a really long reply but then lost my internet connection and my post!!

But the gist of it was, that I just wanted to say that South Wirral is a fantastic school and your son will do well there. It was my neighbours second choice last year if her daughter didn't pass, and they raved about it.

Best wishes
Scatshouse.
HopefulDen

Default School

Post by HopefulDen »

My neice goes to a primary near to Spital/Bromborough border
She passed her 11+ and is going to WG. Some of the girls who were successful in the exam didn't get WG because of location. About a third of her class passed in total. Of those that didn't reach the grammar a large majority of them didn't get their 2nd or third choice. Most had put South Wirral 2nd and Prenton or even Neston third. Many had been allocated Bebington High which wasn't even on their choices. Some of the girls who were successful in the exam didn't get WG because of location. There will be lots of appeals this year. But it just shows you the could reputation that SWH has and the competition there is tio get there.
Denise J
tryingtostaycalm

Post by tryingtostaycalm »

Well we are back and I am so delighted to read that all the "regulars" had successful outcomes! R is very excited about September, especially when we got back home to a letter from WGSB. We had put South Wirral as our second choice as we were very impressed by the whole ethos of the school and liked the Headmistress, who seemed warm and positive. I would have been happy for R to go there if he had not passed. We literally live between the Wirral Grammar schools and Beb High. It appears from what we have heard so far from R's school that others have been allocated there regardless of their choices, presumably on a geographical basis.

You have all been so supportive and have made a difficult few months bearable! It has been so nice to know that others have been thinking and feeling the same.

To all who are appealing, the very best of luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now