Do the CAT tests mirror NFER 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wardie

Do the CAT tests mirror NFER 11+

Post by wardie »

My Year 5 son has recently completed VR, NVR, Maths and Creative writing CAT tests and found them quite easy.

I was wondering if they mirror the 11+ kent test or are they just tests they use to help assess suitability for 11+.

B T W has anyone else heard about the possibility of 3rd week September 2008 being the date for the kent test?????

:) :D
Love Wardie
PDE

Post by PDE »

Can't comment on CATs, but for date of test, I understand there's been a "consultation" going on. See http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-le ... tation.htm
nomatterwhat

Post by nomatterwhat »

Sorry for delay in responding re CATs but thought you might be interested to hear my experiences this academic year. My daughter undertook CATs at beginning of Year 6 in September. Her scores were 101 for maths 104 for non-verbal and 127 for verbal. I was advised these scores were not suggesting 11 plus success given 100 was average and pass marks were usually around the 118 or more mark depending on the cohort.
I was ready to accept she probably wasn't suited to grammar school.
I wasn't prepared for the school visits that left her desperate to attend the grammar school, not because it was a grammar, but because it was small, friendly, single sex and "felt right"... Arrrgh! Without going into the whole saga here I would just like to share the fact that she scored 140 for verbal (max) 138 for non-verbal and 122 for maths, in spite of tears and trauma during one of the tests! (See buckets loads of tears...cuddles & chocolate back in January)
The whole process has been a roller coaster ride. We have been fortunate and secured a place at the school of our choice. Many are still coping with the nightmare of appeals. My point? Beware CAT scores, don't give up and be prepared for a potentially difficult process. Good luck.
Etienne

CATs

Post by Etienne »

This might be of interest:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
(scroll down to B4 for CATs)
Etienne
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

If any use to anybody DS's relevant marks (changed plus or minus one to guard anonymity)

Y6 start CATS Maths104 VR118 NVR119

11plus Maths133 VR137 NVR131 (this was his strong subject in practice)

CATS were a bit of a shock,results bing given at around the time of school visits and applications late Sept/early Oct. Previously been reasonably high performing pupil in high performing state school (but one that does not"coach" for 11plus). Therefore knew he was resonably bright. But during consecutive terms in Y5 and Y6 dropped from top maths set to bottom but one maths set,and had general problems. We are not sure why, but suspect partly loss of confidence when started to be overtaken by the (much larger number of than we thought) pupils who had been intensively tutored for the previous year. Naively thought that the 11plus was still the level playing field it was in my day. DS thought that he might want to go to local GS, but was not convinced, but did want to pass his 11plus. Therefore there followed about 8 weeks of quite intensive coaching from dad. 1 to 1.5 hrs per night/day, 4/5 days a week. Plenty of tears, threat of divorce from wife for child cruelty. Mainly concentrated on maths, starting from quite basic arithmatic (what do they teach in schools today!), worksheets (mainly fractions, decimals,and algebra) obtained from internet, and various test papers. Either VR or NVR practice session every 1 or 2 maths sessions.

Result.Pleased son when found had GS place, and very happy son when obtained scores,and found that he had not just scraped in.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Dadofkent, great scores. Obviously the hard work paid off. My DD's school did not even do CAT tests, so I had no idea at all what she would achieve. Didn't even do a NVR paper at all, just a few worksheets. I think the fact she went in calm and not over tutored helped her. However, let me say not all children are the same and perhaps different approaches suit different children.
Well done anyway on getting through. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

remeber they arr standardised scores and ALL y6 pupils take part in teh cat tests.

So the scores will be in realation to a different group of pupils than 11+ scores
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Yoyo; does that mean my child would have done these CAT tests, but I would not have known about them?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pretty sure all schools do them now.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

now I;m doubting myself!!

I'll ask my year 6 teacher pal! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now