Should I be celebrating?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
patsy

Should I be celebrating?

Post by patsy »

DD passed 11plus so ecstatic about this :lol: , did not get 1st choice Dartford Grammar :cry: but did get 2nd choice grammar Wilmington :) . As you can see I’m all over the place. Can’t decide whether it’s worth putting DD through an Appeal or even what chance we would have, her scores were VR 135 NVR 140 Maths 123.

DS after the initial disappointment seems happy with Wilmington as we are out of Area she doesn’t have friends going to either. We really did like Wilmington but Dartford seems to have the edge especially with facilities and enrichment program.

I would be really grateful for any thoughts on this or past experience on appeals with DGSG. Also has anyone any first hand knowledge of Wilmington Girls.
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry not my area ...it has been really busy on the forum over the last couple of days but I am sure someone local will answer shortly...

Your DD has done really well The VR & NVR scores are very high congratulations to her. :)
nomatterwhat

Post by nomatterwhat »

Sorry! I too cannot comment about the two schools but felt I had to reply because

"Should I be celebrating?" you ask. Too right you should...fantastic scores! Well done to your DD. Hope you manage to get some helpful advice and decide what to do ASAP. Good luck!
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi Patsy

Well done to your DD, you must be very proud.

My DD went through this process last year but is at neither grammar(elected for independent school rather than appeal!) however DD has friends at both Dartford and Willmington, all the girls are enjoying both schools, but personal opinion is that whilst Darford has the academic edge Willmington appears to have more pastoral care. Both are good schools and it depends on what you think will be best for your DD.

Again personal opinion, but didn't think facilities between 2 were that different but overall ethos (from headmistress's talk on open day) was quite different.

Good luck with what ever you decide, with your DD's scores she will do well whatever you decide
NKM
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I agree you should be celebrating. Congrats to your DD! :)
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

Hi Patsy, These schools are local too us. My DD has got in Wilmingtron our first choice. The last exam results put Wilmington above Dartford but this changes from year to year. Everyone I have spoken to whose daughter has been to Wilmington has said what a lovely school. Whereas I have heard from parent that Dartford hasn't always suited their daughters. The girls that passed at our school half went for Dartford and half Wilmington. Our head says there is nothing between the schools. Matter of personal choice. One being more town the other country. Dartford has a swimming pool!!! A mother at Wilmington says that when they go to sporting events Dartford have all nice matching tracksuits and Wilmington are perhaps the poor relation... But as the previous writer says the pastoral care is meant to be better... I have heard that. All the teachers at my daughters school recommended Wilmington to us, with knowing her and the school. I think Dartford does not suit every child, you know what type of child you have.... I think my daughter would be happier at Wilmington I don't think they are so strait laced!!! if thats what I'm trying to say... someone said Wilmington they can be themselves a little more.....

Also Dartford hardly give appeals I can almost say you certainly will not get in.

You must rejoice your daughters success..... you are lucky getting a grammar place, there are a lot of unhappy people out there, at our school the third choices this year were not given to lots of pupils.... they have been given there worse nightmare schools.

Your daughter will not leave school with any less qualifications, both schools offer different things.

The girls schools are not to be compared to the boys.... Wilmington Grammar has always been slightly inferior school (don't like saying that) but they are not in the same league with Dartford, this is not the same with the girls.

See you there!!

Hope i have helped a little.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Thanks for your advise I appreciate any info /advise I can get. Having recently moved to North Kent from Essex and DD still attending school in Essex, I’m a bit out on a limb. I really don’t know what I would have done without this site it has been a God send. The fact that Dartford does Spanish & Dance in year 7 was appealing to us. Having said that
I visited both Dartford Grammar & Wilmington and if I’m really honest I do believe that Saffron will fit into Wilmington really well probably better than she would at Dartford, she is very quiet in class unless she is drawn out.

I never put Dartford on the CAF, as DD did not attend any of the primary schools it selects from 1st and I was unsure how good her results would be. I’m know beating myself up over it. Reading your replies has really put my mind at rest so thank you. :)
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

Hi Patsy,

I will let you into a little secret, once I found out that DD had passed, I too felt a little deflated!!! due to the fact that I hadn't put Darftord on the CAF form. Like you I wasn't sure how well my DD would do, and I still do not know her score as our head won't tell the selected children their score yet!! We all loved Dartford when we viewed but alas having only three places on the CAF form I had to play the game.... if I had put Dartford and she was borderline she would not have got a place and I knew that Wilmington was a better bet for appeal. DD also took the Bexley as a hopeful backup so that was another CAF place gone on a Bexley school. Then I had to put a non-selective, the sensible thing to do. Unlike my friends in nearby Bexley who could put Wilmington and Dartford as well as their own boroughs grammar schools, so I was at a disadvantage.

But I had to listen to the teachers who recommended Wilmington. And all weekend people congratulating my daughter have not stopped saying what a good choice over Dartford... they really have no one has said what a good school Dartford would have been..... this is not due to the fact that she is going to Wilmington, because I have been chatting to mothers who have been going through the same 11+ emotions.

Before viewing the two schools, almost everyone said I would like Wilmington better, the minute I walked in..... this did not happen, I think when you view it is so crowded it was awful, especially in the evening. I know people who have their girls there, they all absolutely love the school. Because of the way it feels.

So I have happily embraced my daughters success and can't wait for her to join Wilmington where EVERYONE tells me she will be happy and love it..

So hope you are feeling happier and getting excited about the prospects of your daughters future.

Just for Info. My dd does go to one of the schools that is in the first list, so we were guaranteed a place if she passed. But our selective girls have chosen half and half......
patsy

Post by patsy »

Thank you “thehorderâ€
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now