CRGS boys - can they have a social life?...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zoe

CRGS boys - can they have a social life?...

Post by zoe »

Hi, I'm delighted that my son has a place at CRGS. But at the moment he's not at all keen to go there, partly because it's less familiar than the local comp, (which does loads of linking activities with its feeder primaries), but also because he imagines he'll never meet any girls! In year 7 or 8 are there opportunities to work alongside girls from other schools (eg theatre productions, etc)?

And can anyone suggest any other things I could entice him with (his current obsession is with listening to, reading about and playing (on guitar) indie rock music - is anyone else's son into the same thing?) 8)
KB

Post by KB »

zoe
Just saw you other entry in different thread.
My son been at CRGS 7 years & know many others of different ages there.
They don't seem to have too much trouble meeting girls - especially from the nearby Girls' High!
Not much formal 'cross activity' except end of term discos.
Many boys also meet girls through out-of-school activities - youth groups, scouts etc...
Big house for music department has lots of practice rooms & they use them with groups of friends for all kinds of music. When my son in year 11 some of his friends had a band which played quite a lot of 'gigs' in Colchester & Ipswich.
Cetainly not all academic 'geeks'!!!
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

Completely agree with KB. My son has met lots of girls from CCHS and St Mary's the private school nearby. He's never been short of female company!!!! They all meet up after school at the bus stops and at the regular discos which seem to occur more often in years 7, 8, and 9. My daughter is in yr 7 at CCHS and is going to her third disco next week.

As to music, the bors are encouraged to play all sorts of styles and a couple of my sons friends are in a band. Don't let him be influenced by others who perceive all grammar school kids as 'nerds', he'll enjoy himself as much as he would at any other school!
ButtyBoo

Post by ButtyBoo »

My son's in year 9 at CRGS and has a better social life than me!
There's plenty of interaction with the girls at the school discos and on the buses home, my son doesn't feel he's missing out on female companionship at all. The music and sports facilities are great and the school encourages these activities enormously.
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

well my lad in year 10 in an all boys school seems to be able to meet girls!

:lol: :lol:

Single sex school didn't stop me either :wink:
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

Hi this is Green Fingers son and I'm in yr 11 at CRGS. You don't automatically get a place but as long as you get a minimun of 3 As and 2 Bs at GCSE and you havn't been in lots of trouble you would be extremely unlucky not to get in. The sixth form is the flagship of CRGS and is the best in the country for A Level results, so they do take the most successful candidates from other schools. I'm really looking forward to going (assuming I don't mess up my exams!!!!!) Happy to answer any other questions.
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

KB

Post by KB »

Hi
My eldest in year 13.
Almost all CRGS year 11 will stay on to 6th form.Literally just a handful who don't. They are not in competition with outside applicants.
Think current sixth form around 300.
They are expected to get A or A* in subjects they wish to continue to A level. If they were only heading for the minimum entry requirements at GCSE you would be summoned to the school long before the end of year 11!!! Most boys get 10 or more GCSEs and mostly at A / A* .
Greek is similar to Latin & tends to be studied by more academic boys. Seems to suit more logical / technical brains so son chose it because didn't enjoy modern languages.
Ethos in sixth form more relaxed than rest of school & good relationships between staff & pupils. Lots of opportunities to develop leadership skills etc.
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now