Gloucestershire Statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Burneth

Gloucestershire Statistics

Post by Burneth »

I thought readers may be interested in the latest statistics posted on the Glos LEA website for allocations this year...

".....This year, at this stage, 94.6% have received one of their preferred places, and 83.8% have been offered their first preference. This has been a huge exercise with places for 7,212 pupils having been allocated out of the 8,868 available. This includes 403 who are coming into Gloucestershire from other authorities."
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Yes Burneth,quite interesting I found that on the web too.
fuzzyduck

Statistics/Facts

Post by fuzzyduck »

Thought you all might be interested to hear that Tommys and Denmark Road are short on numbers again this year. It seems that the requirement for 105 in EACH paper, rather than combining as the other grammar schools do, is hindering the allocation process.

We got a letter from High School saying that my daughter did very well in one of the papers but narrowly missed 105 on the other. As it happens, she got more on the supposedly harder second paper. They strongly suggested we should appeal.

The other interesting fact is that the Balcarass catchment only stretched 1.09 miles from the school this year (I can't remember what happened last year, but the average was 1.2 and the radius was 3 miles - the catchment did include Cowley and Andoversford etc which pushed the boundaries further).

All interesting stuff.
gloucestermum

Re: Statistics/Facts

Post by gloucestermum »

It seems that the requirement for 105 in EACH paper, rather than combining as the other grammar schools do, is hindering the allocation process.
Hopefully won't happen next year-proposal is for all grammar schools to standardise in the same way and for the requirement to be a score of 210 for the 2 papers.Sounds as though an appeal would be highly likely to succeed! I remember in last years discussions that around 40 appeals were successful for the High School.

GM
sem

Post by sem »

[quote]We got a letter from High School saying that my daughter did very well in one of the papers but narrowly missed 105 on the other. As it happens, she got more on the supposedly harder second paper. They strongly suggested we should appeal.[quote]

I received exactly the same letter too. My DD also scored a higher mark in the second paper and just missed out on 105 in the first paper.

Fuzzyduck, are you going to appeal?
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Seems a strange test where there is a pass mark and if you fail to reach it you still can get entry, why do they bother with a pass mark?
fuzzyduck

Post by fuzzyduck »

Hi
Not sure if we are going to appeal now. We would lose our place at Balcarras if we did that with no guarantee that we would get in at Denmark Road (good chance, but not definite). We only got into Balcarras by the skin of our teeth (.99 of a mile!!) so not sure what we're going to do. DD has had enough of the uncertainty and since we wouldn't know outcome till June/July, really not a pleasant prospect.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Fuzzy duck,

You can usualy accept offered place and appeal - then you know you have a 'fall back' position - do check.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

fuzzyduck wrote:Hi
Not sure if we are going to appeal now. We would lose our place at Balcarras if we did that with no guarantee that we would get in at Denmark Road (good chance, but not definite). We only got into Balcarras by the skin of our teeth (.99 of a mile!!) so not sure what we're going to do. DD has had enough of the uncertainty and since we wouldn't know outcome till June/July, really not a pleasant prospect.
There's no need for Balcarras to know that you're appealing to another school - unless you tell them , and you're under no obligation to do so.

If I were you, I'd accept the place at Balcarras, then put in the appeal for High School. If you win the appeal, then you can turn down the place at Balcarras (freeing it up for a delighted person on the waiting list), or if not, you still have a place there.

The only down side is that you can't buy the school uniform until the appeal results are out, bit think of it this way - you buy them now and your daughter will have grown out of them come September. :D
Capers
fuzzyduck

Post by fuzzyduck »

Thank you all for your information. Think we need to have a serious think about all of this.

Dear Chelt Dad - the pass mark of 105 is what Tommies and Denmark Road wanted children to get in EACH paper as a minimum (the only schools to do it this way). The other grammars average/combine both the papers, with a minimum score overall. Think that's why they are a bit flexible after the initial sort. I agree though that it's a riduculous way to go about things and it would be far more straightforward and fairer if all the schools adopted the same principle (as someone said they may do next year). That way they wouldn't be approaching people who actually didn't meet their set criteria to make up their numbers in the way they did both last year and this (more children who pass in the first place).