Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

Can anyone advise me if I would have a stronger case at appeal as my son
A / Passed his 11 +
B/ We were not offered any preferances on our CAF
C/ We were offered a grammar school 22 miles away
D/ We come under the area for Maidstone Grammar although it was over subscribed
E/ Would we be moved higher up the waiting list as well because of the above.
Thank you.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

2nd time arround wrote:Can anyone advise me if I would have a stronger case at appeal as my son
A / Passed his 11 +
B/ We were not offered any preferances on our CAF
C/ We were offered a grammar school 22 miles away
D/ We come under the area for Maidstone Grammar although it was over subscribed
E/ Would we be moved higher up the waiting list as well because of the above.
Thank you.
Not being offered preferences may be what will cause you to appeal, but it's not something that an appeals panel would pay much attention to. The distance involved would be of some interest, but primarily, I'd want to know why even though he passed the 11+, your son didn't do well enough in the exam to get a place at Maidstone Grammar. Was he ill on the day? Granny / hamster died?

Waiting lists and appeals are two separate things. We (the panels) don't know where your child is on the waiting list. The school / LEA will be moving children up the waiting list as they offer spaces to those on top of the list before the appeal - in fact we get a few appeals withdrawn each year because the school had offered a place just before the appeal. We then decide which appeals to allow (if any!). These children them come off the waiting list as they've got places. Some schools then offer places (again to the waiting list) after that if they are prepared to have more children than the PAN per class.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear 2nd time arround

When appealing for an oversubscribed school, your reasons for wanting a place at that particular school will be scrutinised.

See here for typical reasons, B12:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

The waiting list, on the other hand, is not based on your reasons, it is determined by ranking all the children on it according to the admission criteria.
Etienne
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

capers123 Thank you for your comments, the reason he did not get a place was on over subscription nothing to do with his pass mark.