2008 papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DiW

2008 papers

Post by DiW »

Is anyone planning to get, or has got, hold of the 2008 maths and english papers? It's oh so tempting to get them and see where my daughter lost marks. She was so convinced that she had got 100% in her maths but actually got 28/38. She did pass and is off to WHSG which we are delighted with so I know really I should just drop it. Probably a bit mean to get her to re-do them so I can see where she went wrong!!
Boo-Mum

Post by Boo-Mum »

That is so funny ... because my husband I was thinking exactly the same thing. Would it be mean, to make my son sit it again or least tell us where he lost the marks.

We are happy with our result, but we just can't understand why he dropped so badly with his scores. Some he hardly scored 50%.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Surely some dropped marks can be expected through nerves and the whole situation the child finds themselves in? My child's experience was sitting in a fairly large room in the school he was, at the time, desperate to get into - surrounded by children he did not know.
Please do not take offence to this, but why on earth would you want to give them the test again? Apart from anything else, they have already seen the test once already so it is not new to them. My advice would be to allow your child to forget about the whole 11+ process now - unless there are appeals to go through. I still wouldn't dwell on it too much though, even if an appeal is the next step.
If you must test them, there are always the KS2 SATS to work on!!! (JOKE!)
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

I agree with Ed's mum. Why put them through that again. You are happy with the school they have so you should just forget about it now. Your child might feel they have let you and themselves down if they go through it again and see where they may have made silly mistakes and that might make them think they are not good enough for the school they are going to. It looks like it was tough for all the kids this year as a lot of parents have said their marks were lower than they expected. I am sure this happens most years but the fact that they have been offered a grammar school place should be enough.
DiW

Post by DiW »

I know - I was joking about making her re take it! I'm just interested really to see a copy of the paper that she took....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen:
Boo-Mum

Post by Boo-Mum »

My idea was not to make him sit an actual exam!

It was just where, he lost the marks after all, everyone learns from their mistakes.

We tutored our son, and we have a daughter, surely, if we knew where we went wrong, we don't make the same mistakes again!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

I think Diw and Boo-Mum have nothing ,11+ wise, to do and are too shy to come to REHAB where they should rea11y be headed for a we11 earned R&R.

To save their children from any more 'don't know-what-else-to-do' plans we should drag....I mean... invite them to the Hotel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe someone there could set them some tests just to keep them occupied(parents not kiddos) :lol:
Boo-Mum

Post by Boo-Mum »

jesus .. whats with you PEOPLE!!

Sour grapes I think ...

For your information .. my son got into KEGS and I am proud.

We are off to Spain in a few weeks ..
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Boo-Mum wrote:My idea was not to make him sit an actual exam!

It was just where, he lost the marks after all, everyone learns from their mistakes.

We tutored our son, and we have a daughter, surely, if we knew where we went wrong, we don't make the same mistakes again!
hee hee

when my kiddo did an independent school exam with a notoriously difficult Maths paper, he reported rather vaguely the sums he found tricky and I could not make head or tail of what the questions were.

Up ti11 today, I have no idea what flummoxed him (altho he was offered a place at the school) so I never knew what mistakes he made or problems he had.

I did ask a friend to get the last year's papers so I could see for myself but she has not given it to me for a fu11 calendar year. I think she must belong to the same teacher's union as Corv's. :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now