Dover test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kchopping

Dover test

Post by kchopping »

Hello - my daughter got 115 VR 102 NV and 95 maths on the 11 plus in Kent bi=ut did much better with the Dover Test. The overall pass mark was 118 and she scored 112 - hence borderline. The Dover test is recognised by other grammars . Is it worth appealing without Head Teacher support ? would the authorities accept a statemnt from her private tutor or would that be ignored as her Deputy Head maintains ?

thanks

Keith
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear K

I'm afraid an appeal panel would view a private tutor as having had too close a relationship with you, and a letter of support is unlikely to carry any weight.

It's going to be more of an uphill struggle if you don't have headteacher support. What reasons did the head give?
Etienne
kchopping

Dover test

Post by kchopping »

Thanks Etienne,

The head will not support her as he feels her course work over the last year is not strong enough. The work she did with a tutor is much stronger so even if I may not use his statement could I not use this work in evidence at an appeal ?

Would not the closeness of her Dover Test result not carry any weight at all - especially as girls who have not passed the 11 plus have been accepted into other grammars by way of the Dover test?

thanks
Keith
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Keith
The work she did with a tutor is much stronger so even if I may not use his statement could I not use this work in evidence at an appeal ?
Yes. It is open to the panel to decide how much weight to give to any evidence, but I see no reason why you shouldn't show them what she has been doing.
Would not the closeness of her Dover Test result not carry any weight at all - especially as girls who have not passed the 11 plus have been accepted into other grammars by way of the Dover test?
I would certainly hope so.

Good luck
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

If I were on the panel, I'd think the following:

No support from Headteacher - why was this, especially if the head supports other appeals (we wouldn't of course know what you have written previously); Was tutored, yet still didn't pass.

Now, yes, I know that most children are tutored, but the official line is that it's not needed to pass. What circumstances were there that caused your daughter not to do well on the day, as these would be to me the most important factors?
Capers
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

also, work with a tutor is often 1:1, and means that the tutor can draw out the best in a child, correct mistakes instantly and tailor teh work to specific needs

In a class of 30+ it is not possible to give this much attention to individual children. It may be viewed that although the potential is there she is not so good at coping in a class situation.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
kchopping

SATS predictions

Post by kchopping »

Thanks for your replies to all of you - one more thing as I prepare the appeal I have been given predicted SATS score of English 4a, Maths 4c, Science 4b for may 2008. Are these reasonable enough to use in an appeal for a grammar place ?

best wishes

Keith
capers123

Re: SATS predictions

Post by capers123 »

kchopping wrote: English 4a, Maths 4c, Science 4b for may 2008. Are these reasonable enough to use in an appeal for a grammar place ?
Dear Keith,

A level 4b is absolute average for a Y6 child. 4a is slightly above, 4c slightly below. Averaging them out, you get a 4b, which is what a child of average ability is expected - ie middle of the ability range in an average class in a comprehensive in a county where there is no 11+. I'd expect to see at least all the SATs at level 5c for a child planning to go to grammar. I've known the very occasional successful appeal when the child has 2 5's and a 4a, but that's quite unusual. Another way of putting is is that I'd expect a child to have score in top 20% of pupils, not at 50%.

I hate to say this, but with those grades, especially 4 b for science and 4c expected for maths, I really do think your daughter would struggle to keep up at a grammar.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear - but that's probably why the head didn't support your case. I'm also very surprised that the private tutor didn't mention this to you, as they should have spotted it.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now