Ing Edwards Fiveways - Stressed Dad

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedaddy

Ing Edwards Fiveways - Stressed Dad

Post by stressedaddy »

New to the site. Want to know more about KEFW's. How does it compare to Camphill and more importantly how hard is IT to GET in?

I have a son who is preparing for the 11+ in November. Making a choice(s) is a stressful task. Camphill is nearer, but having seen KEFW's, I am impressed with it much more. Any parents who have had their children go through this school, I would appreciate your kind help. The main stresses are travelling distance and more imprtantly getting in.

Thanks

Stressedaddy.
KenR

KEFW & Camphill

Post by KenR »

My son started at KEFW this week - we went through the same issues last year so understand the various stress issues.

A few points in answer to your questions:-

Camp Hill Boys is always much harder to get into than KEFW. For the 2006 entry the pass mark for Camp Hill was 341 whereas the pass mark for KEFW was 329. corresponding figures for 2005 were 347 and 330 respectively.

The reason for that is mainly down to the statistics of the number of places on offer. Camp Hill boys only has 93 places whereas KEFW has 150. I know that KEFW has girls as well, but there are far more girls places available at handsworth and Camp Hill girls so you tend to find that the KEFW mix is about 60:40 boys to girls.

We originally thought that Camp Hill boys would be better for us; it is also closer to us than KEFW. However having spoken to lots of parents with children at Camp Hill Boys and KEFW we have now changed are mind.

KEFW is far more relaxed academic environment than Camp Hill Boys. The latter has a reputation of being an intense academic hot house. We know of a lot of parents who tutored their children to get through the exam and have had to continue with additional tutoring right through their school life just to keep up.

Looking to the future beyond GCSEs; Camp Hill is belief very demanding regarding the GCSE grades that boys have to achieve to say on to the 6th form. 6 grade As minimum I believe.

Finally, as I mentioned on aa previous post, the transport arrangements to KEFW are very good. We were quite surprised how easy it is to get to the school via the School Green Bus. I believe there is a bus from Solihull as well.

Difficult choice which will probably depend how well your son would cope with a demanding academic environment. If you think he would cope well or maybe needs that environment to achieve than maybe Camp Hill would be a good choice for you. We now think that that probably wouldn't have suited our son.

Hope this helps.

best of luck

PS practice the comprehension and vocabulary (and the speed) - that's key for the exam.
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

Ken R - Thank you for your insight, much appreciated. I am of the same opinion as you. I will take your point of comprehension and voc and help my son as much as I can, along with the private tutoring.

If only my parents stressed out for me ..........
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now