Starting in year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catherine

Starting year 7

Post by Catherine »

Hi all elevenplusexams veterans,

My son started at his grammar today and I must say that I am quite excited about it.
A neighbour commented on how smart he looked.
I can't wait until he comes back to hear how he got on.

Best wishes

Catherine

Post by Guest »

are you gloating, smug or what? simply wanting to share your enthusiasm.....
usa

Post by usa »

I am sure he will be very happy Catherine. I am not at all surprised that you are excited - this day has been a long time coming round for you all!
Thank you for all your advice on this forum - you are a wonder!
Best of luck to you both!
USA
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Catherine

After all the tremendous help you've given to so many people on this forum, it's great that you have some good news of your own to celebrate. You are right to be excited about your son's first day. Do let us know how he got on.

Best wishes
Etienne
relieved

starting year 7

Post by relieved »

Hi Catherine and anyone else whose child is starting year 7 this week. My son's starting at Grammar this morning. I've been awake since 4.30am fretting over whether he has the right type of ruler, whether he'll catch the right bus home etc. He, on the other hand, is totally chilled out and it took some persuading to let me accompany him to the bus stop. I must admit to a tear in the eye as he went off on the next big adventure in his life.

Good luck to everyone, whichever school they're starting at.
Jed

Post by Jed »

My daughter's been so excited all week - kept trying on her uniform and saying she's never been so excited - not even for Christmas!

Although initially disappointed about not getting the score in the Bucks 11 plus, that is all long forgotten. She's off to a good local comp, loved her taster day and I'm sure she'll be happy.

Thought I'd add this for all those new Year 6 parents worrying that if their children don't get into grammar it will take the gloss off starting secondary. If you don't treat it as if it's the only option, they won't!

Jed
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I'm sure every one's going to be a bit nervous. It's a big day for all year sevens, starting at a new school, a whole new adventure!

For those starting at grammar understandably, this is what all that work was leading up to, so be proud and excited! They did it!!!! :D

B

Post by Guest »

I am sure that all of you parents who have been successful in securing a place in grammar school for your child have come across others like the 2nd poster on this thread. It is a pity that other people can't accept that some children get into grammar school.

Catherine - well done to your boy and I hope he does well. I am sure you are not gloating or smug but are just anxious that he is happy at his new school. I hope he had a good day.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you for your kind words.
I started this thread to say hello, and see how others were getting on. I am very aware that some children and parents will be thrilled with their school, grammar or other type, but unfortunately some won't for any reason. Some kids won't be happy at their grammar school, some should have started there.
The education system is probably not up to everyone's expectations.
I just hope that in the end, it's turn out well for everyone.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I am sure that all of you parents who have been successful in securing a place in grammar school for your child have come across others like the 2nd poster on this thread. It is a pity that other people can't accept that some children get into grammar school.

Catherine - well done to your boy and I hope he does well. I am sure you are not gloating or smug but are just anxious that he is happy at his new school. I hope he had a good day.

I agree with your comments. No one is forced to go into the 11+ system - yes it does seem unfair that it is based on one day and some bright kids just don't perform on that day and don't get into the grammar school but we are all adults and go into this knowing the pitfalls. If it is the case that your child was not successful, that is not the fault of other parents on this site and silly, petty comments are not needed. It is human nature to be upset but being nasty to other people doesn't help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now