About to appeal - what do we send?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moscow

About to appeal - what do we send?

Post by Moscow »

Hi. What a fantastic website. When my DS unexpectedly failed his Kent Test, we decided to appeal. We know it is a long draw out process but feel it is worth a try. He achieved VR 128, NVR 130 and Maths 107.

He told us that he ran out of time on the Maths paper and had to guess 13 questions! :roll: As I understand it, we can appeal for both grammar schools we put down on the CAF, which is what we are going to do. The headteachers' appeal failed as they felt his Maths work did not come up to test standard but he is predicted 5c at end of KS2 SAT's.

Anyway, we intend to send off the two appeal forms this week but are unsure what evidence to send with it. We will be sending numerous test scores provided by his school and letters from the head and class teacher (who incidentally strongly advised us to appeal)

Can we take evidence such as school reports to the appeal or does it all have to be sent now? I am confused as KCC said to send it all off together and I am worried about getting it all ready B4 the deadline of 25th March. I want to send it asap.

Many thanks for any advice. Is it worth us appealing? I am usually very level headed but this has turned me into a nervous wreck as I am sure it has others in my situation!
Moscow
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Moscow

It is usual to send any supporting letters and academic evidence in advance if possible, to allow the panel time to read the material before the day of the Appeal.

If the school reports are particularly lengthy I would suggest photocopying just the reports for the key subjects - English, Maths, Science and possibly History and Geography.

You should then take the full reports with you on the day, together with samples of any schoolwork that you want to present. (Again, for schoolwork stick to what is really relevant and proves your case.)

If you have any evidence that you could not gather together in time, you can take that with you on the day and you should be allowed to submit it. You will need to take 6 copies of each item with you.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Sally-Anne.

Kent CC might encourage you to submit everything together, but that's for their convenience! You are entitled to send in information after the initial submission. See B13:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

See B11 for examples of academic evidence that would be useful.

With strong support from the school, you ought to try an appeal - but never get your hopes up too high!

Regards
Etienne
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thank you for your help. Will be going thrugh the drawers for old school reports to get more evidence. Will let you know how it goes.
Moscow
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi.I am also slighty confused about amount of information on initial appeal form, ours seems suggest that the first pink form should just state basic facts, after this has been recieved we will be sent an appeals pack that will inform us of all other information needed. Also we have only one appeal form but wish to appeal for a place at two schools, should we scan one or apply for another form?
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

We have scanned the original and have asked the head for two identical hand written letters so that it does not look like we are appealing to two different schools! Thinking now, I will keep the original and send off a photocopy, saying that I kept it in case it got lost! Just do not want each school to know we are appealing to another in case they think we are hedging our bets (which we are of course). very confusing the whole thing
Moscow
kentmum

Post by kentmum »

We appealed in Kent last year. We submitted the pink form saying we wished to appeal advising we would send our written submission later. Our submission consisted of our letter detailing why we felt grammar was appropriate for our son, why we felt that particiular school was appropriate and mitigating circumstances as to why our son didn't achieve expected scores (NVR 139, VR 137 and Maths 108). We also included a letter from the HT at primary, evidence of academic achievement - KS1 results, CAT test scores etc and mock KS2 results and last 2 school reports (ask the school for copies if you can't find them). The KCC appeals panel clerk advised not to submit samples of our son's schools work as they would not/could not consider it as evidence. You will get a copy of the school's letter saying why they can't admit your child - don't be put off by this (I had many a sleepless night after I received it).

The hardest part is the waiting, our appeal wasn't until June, we then had a week before we heard anything. We won and despite all the people who told us we were putting too much pressure on our child and predicted that he would struggle at Grammar because he obviously wasn't "up to the mark" he is doing extremely well across the board, coming top in some subjects and generally in the top performing half of his class!

Don't lose hope.
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thanks Kent Mum. I believe you are right. We wernt to my DS school for a parents consultation evening yesterday and his teacher said that we should appeal as he would thrive at a GS. Needless to say, that was all the confirmation I needed and we have prepared our appeal to send on Sat. I hope we are as successful as you but we do realise that we have only a slim chance.

Keep everything crossed and will let you know outcome.
Moscow
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now