Warwickshire 11+

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Warwickshire 11+

Post by Guest »

I have today been informed that Warwickshire are to change form the norm this year and use a different examining board to Moray House! Can anyone throw any light?

We have been working hard on papers that best mirror the Moray House one's - now I'm concerned that it's all been for nothing!

Help

Concerned Mother
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Concerned Mother

I am no expert for Warwickshire, however the following may help

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... enDocument

If you click on the word documents they describe the types of questions, sounds to me like VR in standard form, anagrams give it away! The blurb on the publishers sounds like NFER.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Dear Patricia

Thank you for your reply.

I have used your link and the information is very good but when you read further down it mentions that they use Moray House papers and I know that they have changed. I am supposing that they will stay with a similar format as this is what is published in their 'up-to-date' information document!

Concerned Mother
Warwickshire 11+

Post by Warwickshire 11+ »

The verbal reasoning tests contain 100 questions to be completed in 45 minutes. The type of questions will include for example:

anagrams,
sequences (A C E ? or 2 4 6 ?),
placing words in dictionary order,
picking the odd one out,
identifying group words e.g. orange, apple, banana the group word is fruit
codings (if A=Z, B=Y, C=X, etc. what is XZY?),
questions based on simple maps e.g. which is the most northern town?, or which town do you travel through on the way from A to B?
tabulated information e.g. train timetables from which they calculate the quickest train from A to B, or which train to catch in order to be in town B by 2.00 p.m..
reasoning questions e.g. ABCDE are five boys. ABC learn French, CDE learn German. Which boy learns French and German?

Standardised scores Each child’s raw score (the number of answers correct in each paper of 100 questions) and the child’s chronological age on the day of each test are used to produce a standardised score. The calculation also takes account of the degree of difficulty of each paper completed so that a range of papers can be used to test a single cohort or transfer group. Also, standardised scores can be used to compare the performance in the selection tests of children in different age groups. It is the two standardised scores added together which produce the final total score. The total score places the child in the descending score order list for entry to the grammar schools at transfer age.

Offers Normally we do not give results of the tests to parents. The standardised scores are not IQ scores and produce only a means of comparison between all the children in the transfer group. Individual test scores would mean nothing without all the others for comparison. There are usually around 1,000 to 1,100 children tested for the 240 places available in the three grammar schools (75 in each of King Edward VI Grammar School for boys and the Stratford-upon-Avon Girls' Grammar School; Alcester Grammar School have 90 places to offer.)

The decision as to which pupils qualify for the offer of grammar school places is based on the results of two Moray House Verbal Reasoning Tests.

Post by Guest »

Thank you guest, I have read this information on the link. My point is that this is all relating to the Moray House papers as mentioned in the last paragraph and Warwickshire are NOT using the Moray House papers this year!!
interested party

Warwickshire tests

Post by interested party »

Suggest the enquirer speaks to Warwickshire Admissions Service. They are using Moray House tests again this year. Any change will require consultation. Best to speak to the horses mouth.

Post by Guest »

Thank you interested party. You have put my mind at rest. The information had come via my friends son's tutor - therefore I believed it to be quite genuine!

Anyhow I will take heart, their tests start next week so will stick with what we know and hope for the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now