Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OOC_dad

Transport to Kendrick school in Reading

Post by OOC_dad »

Hi All,

My DD secured a place at Kendrick school in Reading

I am just assessing the options for transport between Swindon and Kendrick, are there any children who make this journey?

We are considering the following options :-

1) Train - 10 mins to the train station, 35 mins by train, 10 min walk to the school = 55 mins. How safe is this journey for a 11 year old ?

2) Move into the area - probably near J12 of the M4 (as I work in Swindon). How long will it take to kendrick by bus from near J12 ?

3) Car share from anyone else who lives in Swindon.

Any advice ??

Thanks in advance

00C_dad
stevew61

Re: Transport to Kendrick school in Reading

Post by stevew61 »

OOC_dad wrote:10 min walk to the school How safe is this journey for a 11 year old ?

How long will it take to kendrick by bus from near J12 ?

00C_dad
Can only part answer, the walk from station to school is OK at that time of day and at going home time. Lots of Kendrick/Reading/Abbey/St Jo kids around.

Bus from J12 have a look at Reading Buses.

stevew61
capers123

Post by capers123 »

My first thought was 'Any reason to move away from Swindon'. Then I though - ah, is Reading actually any better?

Have you totally dismissed all the schools in the Swindon area? I thought the one at Wootton Bassett was reasonable - I know at least one pupil who recently got into Cambridge from there (and was / is a most interesting, free-thinking person).

There surely must be some reasonable schools in the area, as there are some bright parents, so probably children living in Swindon. That said, my partner telecommutes to West Swindon from Stroud 4 days a week, and goes into the office on the other one.

Or move up to Gloucestershire - 5 Valleys, send daughter to Stroud High, and commute to Swindon as many people from round here do (especially on the Cirencester side - very easy access).
Capers
stroud dad

Post by stroud dad »

is this a wind up!! what is the world coming to. leave the local schools to the local students for christ sake!
OOC_dad

Post by OOC_dad »

Interesting.....

My DD did get a place at SHS but the place in Kendrick was higher on our preferance list. The travel to Stroud was just as long as reading from Swindon.

We are planning to move out from Swindon and that why we are looking for schools outside of the catchment.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I have also been investigating bus travel, and have found a great site with public bus, train, coach & underground timetables, maps, and journey planners, using postcode filters as well.

Could be of help for J12 calculations; can be used for anywhere in the UK, to boot. :D

traveline

:D

BW
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now