preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sim1

preparation

Post by sim1 »

hi,
i am preparing my daughter for 11+ for 2008 exam. we are working hard but i am not sure how much preparation is required. i have looked at national curriculum for maths and english for ks2 and ks3. do we need to cover all topics for ks2 and some for year 7 as well or shall we work on popular topics like fractions, percentages etc. for english, we are working on punctuation, synonyms, comprehension etc. i feel very inadequate as far as information is concerened. can you please shed some light on the importance of NVR in king edward schools exam. what % are we looking at. my daughter at the moment is hitting 80+% in NVR and 90+% in VR using bond papers.
thanks in advance
kefew

Post by kefew »

My daughter is also sitting this year.

My son has just received offers for 1st preference KEFW and KES including a scholarship. He did no additional prep save a few papers to 'familiarise' himself with the format.

He did see a good tutor at about this time last year. The tutor did a short test and predicted he would get 390 on the test and 'not to worry'. The advice didn't work - I am a worrier - but in hindsight the tutor was right and he got over this score.

My daughter did the same in the intial test but I'll still worry!

In summary - My advice is to get a good tutor to do an assessment which is £30 well spent and trust their view on the outcome. :lol:
sim1

Post by sim1 »

thanks kefew,
congratulations to you and your son for achieving your dream. you are really lucky, that without any real preparation , your son has passed 11+ with flying colours. your reply has prompted another worry for me regarding suitable tutor. we are new to birmingham, so are not aware of good tutors. there are so many advertisements that baffles me. how do you who is reputed.
thanks for help.
kefew

preparation

Post by kefew »

I have an excellent reccommendation for my child's tutor in Moseley / Kings Heath / Edgbaston area but the private message I tried to send has not been successful and I'm not sure it's proper to post these details. If you send me a PM this might allow me to send it to you.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi sim1

By all means follow up and check out kefew's suggested Tutor - personal recommendations are always the best.

But please be careful about some of the Tutoring organisations you see advertised around Birmingham and also those organisations standing outside the main gates of KEGS grammars on open days handing out leaflets.

Some of them are not very good or appropriate at all!

Please see:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=733
clarendon

preparation

Post by clarendon »

Hi,

Have read posts about tutoring and am wondering if anyone knows of the tutoring organisation called ***** The centres I know of in Bham are in Erdington and Sutton.. also think there's one in Sandwell. Am thinking of sending my son for 11+ prep. but would greatly apppreciate any info ( good or bad) about this co.

Hoping someone can help....

Thanks

Tutors name removed by a moderator as it against forum rules to advertise.