Kent Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confused123

Kent Appeal

Post by confused123 »

Hi
I really need some help! My daughter was expected to pass but did not achieve on the day. Scores were VR 132, NVR 116 and Maths 113. She wanted to go to Simon Langton or Barton Court (Canterbury). Does anyone have any advice on appeals or knowledge of successful appeals and marks needed for appeals. Also is there any spaces available at these schools?! :(
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

hi confused, can't help you but I'm sorry that you are in this situation, I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly,this forum is bursting with fantastic help and advice.- just hang in there!
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi,im in a similar situation nvr 124, vr 120 maths 109 im appealing to both schools , realise very slim chance but if you dont try you will never know, not sure about places untill reallocation day is over, no one knows and even then they are very tight lipped about it ,try the kent part of the forum more knowledge there I think ,good luck
katel

Post by katel »

I know there are expected to be spaces at Simon Langton. Fab school, by the way - good luck!
lovespizza

Post by lovespizza »

Hello there,

We had a successful appeal last year to Barton Court. We did not chose Langton (fab school but not suited to my dd) so no experience with appeal there. Our scores were 136 nvr 134 vr 110 maths. Our dd is very happy and settled there so far. We did have strong HT support and medical /academic evidence showing effects of bullying (long and horrible story) Happy to provide more details on our appeal if it will be of any help to you or anyone else. Good luck, I have been told there are spaces for appeals this year ,but don't know how many.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi,thanks for the info lovespizza, I realise we probably cant go into great detail on here, but I would really like to know if the panel put you at ease or seemed rather intimidating, I am really nervous about not putting my case well, because of nerves [hope that makes sense]
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

heronsfly, I'm no appeals expert but I do know that the appeals panel will probably expect nerves and will not hold this against you. The good advice from the appeals section is to write your main points down to take in with you, so if your mind goes blank you will be able to read through your points. Another good tip is to take somebody with you - partner, friend etc. they do not have to speak but can be there to support you. good luck and all the best.
lovespizza

Post by lovespizza »

Hi again

I was very nervous indeed. Did not present myself well, was a gibbering wreck at times and actually cried at one point. None of that seemed to matter to the panel. I really did feel that my childs suitability for the school was what they were trying to establish. I had submitted all evidence in advance and they asked questions about anything they wanted to clarify. I had bullet points of things I just wanted to remind them of and tried to keep it short and relevant. The panel consisted of three plus a school govenor (who was very pleasent) They seemed to consider everything carefully and although I felt tense throughout, I really felt that we were dealt with fairly and were not made to feel hurried or defensive. It felt fairly formal at the time and I came out certain I had blown it. I do feel that the panel are experienced enough to see beyond a less than professional presentation from understandably highly anxious parents to what is really important i.e will your child be well placed at the school. We presented Academic evidence, Strong school support and medical evidence form both gp and school councillor re bullying. We were asked lots of questions as well, some of which I think were `filler` questions . they were

Was your child tutored

How did they seem on they day of the exam (both before and after)

What books is she currently reading

Did she finish the papers

How do you feel she will cope with the fast paced Grammer enviroment

What will you do if this appeal is unsuccessful. -- Was not expecting this one!

I hope this is helpful and really do wish you well with this, please let me know if you need any more info. I know exactly how you feel and so do many others so will be thinking of you x
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi, I have recieved my letters back re.appeals to both schools, the response to the one sent to county hall is as expected ,date for appeal to be arranged nearer the time ect, but the one that I had to send direct to the school states that it has been forwarded to county hall and we will hear from them direct, I wonder why it had to be sent to the school in the first instance? now worried in case I read the form wrongly.
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Hi Heronsfly. Very similar situation to ours but appealed to Simon Langton for Boys and Barton Court as we have a ds. Sent our appeals to both schools direct to governors but had two different replies. BC said they had sent the details to KCC Democratic Services in Maidstone and we will hear from them with an appeal date. SL , however have an appeal co-ordinator and we have been asked to supply additional information from what we sent with the appeal. they have asked us to let them know which school he has been offered. I posted yesterday on this sight to ask for the significance of this and it's relevance.

They also said they would contact us early next week with an appeal date, so seems it is set by the school whereas the other has been passed to KCC.

Is this similar to your letters? i don't know if the SL girls school is operated differently. Anyone else got their letters yet? Interesting!
Moscow