The Joys of Non-Verbal

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ANDREW THE POET

The Joys of Non-Verbal

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Has anyone any experience of the Accelerated Learning Series which covers both the V and NV. There does seem to be a lack of good guide books for NV. The Bond books serve as a great introduction but don't seem to tackle the complex, multi-layered questions that the NFER papers throw at you. The AL series (1904257410 - ISBN) seems to offer a much more in-depth look at the likely questions involved. However, I'm not sure whether much of what is enclosed might be more of a distraction to the mainstream NFER thinking. Thoughts, suggestions and shared experiences about this and anything else are most welcome!
Thank you!!
Andrew
PS ... let's have a software package for NV!! Does anyone know of such a thing?
ANDREW THE POET

WHO NEEDSD SLEEP WHEN THERE'S THE 11+ ?

PS ..
For those of you not getting much sleep due to the worry of the 11+, I've found a way of getting the exams to actually AID your sleep pattern. Instead of wasting time counting those white fluffy sheep things, try counting those odd non-verbal shapes - just lie back and let them do the jumping. Works for me! (Might even help me understand them a little more - although I doubt this!).
Andrew
angelz

NVR: Night-time Visual Reenactments

Post by angelz »

Hi Andrew

I agree there does not seem to be the same level of 'step by step' guidence for NVR, which we found invaluable with the VR.

The problem I have, is on the :shock: RARE :lol: occasion that I am unable to explain a particular NVR problem to my son, we are able to look at the answer but it is not always clear why this is the answer. I refer to the bond series.

I will however try out your advice regarding counting the darn things at night. Anything is worth a go. We are in Lincs, so this will all be over by next week, until results day that is!!!!!!
angelz
ANDREW THE POET

VR FOR INSOMNIACS

Thanks Angelz,
We too are in Lincs so it's a bit late to be worrying about VR approaches. However, a few have us all completely stumped and the six-minute timed thingie is a bit of a problem - so is the heat!! Anyway, good luck wherever you all are ...
Bye
Andrew
Nou

Post by Nou »

I found that normally if you stare at a NVR question for long enough the reason for the answer will eventually become clear, even if it doesn't seem the most logical answer.
My daughter and I found that sketching the shapes/sequences sometimes made it easier to understand, especially for the rotation and 3D type questions.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Andrew the poet,

Unfortunately there isn't nearly as much advice for NVR than for VR here.
I haven't got a huge experience of NVR myself. All I can say is that I found most papers I got too different from The NFER, except the the e-papers that I downloaded from this site (the 'eleven plus exams' ones not the MW). Just a bit harder than NFER.
The 6mns time was a problem for my son as well, but keep regular prartice. A week can make a difference.

Good luck

Catherine

Post by Guest »

Thanks Catherine and Nou!
Your help, advice etc is much appreciated. I actually did download the MV examples from this site. So, I'll have a go with the others if you think that they bear a much closer resemblence to the NFER offerings. Oh, this is so much fun! At least I get to 'talk' to good people such as yourselves!
A BIG THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!
Andrew -
www.wackyverse.com

Post by Guest »

Glad I am not the only parent who has trouble with the NVR! There have been a few that I can't work out even trying to work back from the answer. There is a paucity of papers that reflect the NFER type. I'd have liked some graded papers working up from the simple to the complex. Shall be glad when it is all over for this year (next Sat as I'm another Lincs parent).

Sara

Post by Guest »

Also another Lincs parent that will be glad when this Saturday is over. My son enjoys the NVR so haven't had too much of a problem, but agree that I cannot always see the 'reason' for the answer. We will have one last look at a paper this week just to see how he feels. Roll on Saturday and then I am sure I will have no finger nails left when October gets here!
kate1

Post by kate1 »

I am another desperate Lincs parent trying to find extra NVR papers. Have just read that IPS have produced 8 non-verb papers that support the NFER format. Has anyone tried them?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now