Community school to foundation

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bestpossibleoutcome

Community school to foundation

Post by bestpossibleoutcome »

I have just seen a notice in the local paper of the proposal for a local community comprehensive school to become a 'foundation' school. Are there any advantages associated with this new status?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Is it something in the air? Our local "school and sports college" is talking about the same thing - but it is proposing to go in with the local university (Warwick).
bestpossibleoutcome

I found a summary of all the different types of schools here;

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/educationo ... hooltypes/

I still don't understand what advantage there would be to a school making this move.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

The advantage of foundation status, as I see it, is that it gives a school more say over the way it is run. It owns its land and premises, employs its own staff and handles its own admissions, though whatever system it adopts must still comply with the national rules that apply to all state schools. I'm not sure how this differs from Voluntary Aided, however.
bestpossibleoutcome

How can it do this?

I understood from the link I gave above that something of the sort would be the case. Thankyou for replying and confirming that Marylou. I'm not against this happening, but I wondered how buildings, land etc. belonging to the local authority could suddenly be transferred to new ownership.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the LA still owns the land - teachers may be wary as they are 'at the mercy' of the Governing body - I would be wary of teaching in a Foundation school.
sharone

Post by sharone »

Hi everyone

I'm on the board of governors of my daughter's infant school, and we are currently going through the process of becoming a foundation school. The reasons for this move are many, but it is mostly because we want to have more control over the future of the school, and having foundation status gives us more standing when we as a governing body and the LEA disagree. As a foundation school the board of governors are the employers of all staff, and the school owns the building and land. In this way the school retains control of any land the LEA may decide to sell off (a real danger for an inner city school where more and more new housing is encroaching). As far as I am aware, the government aims for most schools to be given foundation status with time, so it is likely that more and more schools will gain foundation status. As a school we feel that being granted foundation status will be a positive move and enable us to provide a better school and education for our pupils.
bestpossibleoutcome

Thank you Sharone, that gives us a slightly different perspective which is useful.

many thanks,

BPO