IGCSEs??

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

IGCSEs??

Post by Ed's mum »

Please can anyone tell me what the difference between a traditional GCSE and an IGCSE is??
I am assuming that the I maybe refers to Independent schools...? Should I be worried that they seem to sit IGCSEs at Rugby rather than GCSEs? Any help or advice gratefully received.
I know I could Google the answer for myself, but I would rather hear from someone who KNOWS first-hand about them than read the hard sell which will always be biased anyway!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Ed's Mum

IGCSE stands for International GCSE - a more difficult GCSE sylabus that has been adopted by many Independent schools. See:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/sep/0 ... ls.schools

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 626224.ece

In maths for example, the sylabus cover calculus which isn't covered normally until Maths AS/A Level.

The only issue with IGCSE is that it isn't recognised by the Gov in league tables (there's talk of this being included soon) so many Independent School show up at the bottom of the tables!!

Many Teacher's believe that IGCSE is a better preparation for AS and A Levels.

Hope this helps
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you (AGAIN!!) KenR.
Phew, I was worried that it might be a dumbed-down or watered-down version of the GCSE.
I can relax again now, at least until this afternoon!
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Just to agree - the IGCSE offers far more preparation for A'level and I believe less course work so more emphasis is paid to the final exam. It is harder to well in an IGCSE than GCSE but the independent schools still manage to get top results.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks Tipsy,
It is harder to well
Harder AS well?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

well, because there is more course-work on the GCSE there is more opportunity to correct and up-grade marks where as you only have one attempt at the IGCSE exam. It's probably the opposite from "watered-down"!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I was just clarifying your meaning as I didn't understand the sentence. I do understand that they are harder. Bring it on!!
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

sorry - my typing fingers are still on holiday mode! :roll:
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

does Rugby offer A'Level or IB? and is it considering the Pre-U.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not all teachers think IGCSE is better - it's based more on rote learning of facts rather than understanding - it's designed for overseas candidates the I stands for 'international' not 'independant' -