Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mrs.dumbledore

TWINS - one in, one not!!

Post by mrs.dumbledore »

Hi,

This is our worst case scenario!
Of 900 applicants our son came 22nd and has been offered a place. Our daughter however was incredibly stressed and nervous about the whole experience and came 410th (2 schools administer the test and between them take the top 310). She had a better score in the school's own pre-test and just got progressively worse as the big day approached!!

I already have the backing of her classteacher who is prepared to let me have access to practice SATS tests showing level 5 results both this year AND in year 5.

Daughter is on the gifted and talented register for English whilst son is "G&T" for science and mathematics. This plays to his strengths as the 11+ in our area is maths and VR only.

However these are my questions:

Is there any mileage in highlighting the emotional pressure (and subsequent depression) of having a brother who excels so in the 11+ subjects?

Are the panel allowed to make reference to the travel arrangements and social/emotional impact of separating twins who have always attended school together?

If daughter does not get her GS place then she will be home alone in a remote rural area every day - having walked along a mile long unlit, pavementless country lane from the bus stop to home - will this affect their decision?

Basically is there anyone out ther who can help me with this one in, one out situation, please???
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to focus on the academic strengths of your daughter - they are the main criteria - do read the 'sticky' if you have not already done so.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

You need to provide some further information including scores and specific details about LEA or Regions. Appeals vary dramatically from region to region (and in some cases from school to school)

Suggest you take a look at the Appeal stickies and then re-post.

Regards
mrs.dumbledore

Post by mrs.dumbledore »

We're in Calderdale, where the 2 Grammar schools are independant of the LEA.
Her score was 10 points below a child who came in 308th position.

Not sure what else I can tell you really.

I have read the stickies and found them very helpful although am not sure what a CAT score is(?), it's not something I have heard of from her primary school.

I just wondered really if panels took the unusual situation of twins into account - and if it was worth pursuing this angle alongside the academis achievments of my daughter.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

So sorry to hear of your dreadful situation.
There is another family going through the same predicament on this forum. The mother's username has 'twin' in it.If I find the thread I will let you know.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Twins are discussed in the Q&As. (B24)

There are two separate issues: non-qualification, and then oversubscription. (As places are offered by rank order, I'll assume there are no vacancies.)
Is there any mileage in highlighting the emotional pressure (and subsequent depression) of having a brother who excels so in the 11+ subjects?
Yes, sibling rivalry is an extenuating circumstance.
Are the panel allowed to make reference to the travel arrangements and social/emotional impact of separating twins who have always attended school together?
For oversubscription, yes, but it doesn't really apply to non-qualification.
If daughter does not get her GS place then she will be home alone in a remote rural area every day - having walked along a mile long unlit, pavementless country lane from the bus stop to home - will this affect their decision?
Not for non-qualification, I would have thought.

Appeals are basically the same everywhere (because of the code of practice), but the way in which they are organised varies, and, in particular, the success rate varies dramatically.

As you are talking about an own-admission authority school in an area where there aren't many grammar schools, I assume they will deal with non-qualification and oversubscription at the same time. (See the "Lincolnshire model" in the Q&As, section E.)

The success rate for appeals at own-admission authority schools is usually below average, I'm afraid.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now