Bucks 11 2008 + How are we all doing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Road Runner

Bucks 11 2008 + How are we all doing

Post by Road Runner »

Hello everyone

I thought I would start a new topic for anyone who child will be sitting the test this year in Bucks.

I thought it would be good for anyone to share thier own current experience. If like me your dd or ds will be sitting the Bucks 11+ this year and you feel like chatting about it then I am sure we would all benefit from each others experience. Whether you are tutoring or not

My current situation is my dd will be sitting the Bucks 11+ this year. I am currently tutoring myself which I feel is going very well. My dd does understand all the question types and is happy to sit down each week and practise. I purchased all the material as reccomended on this forum and so dd is currently on the IPS 50 question, 30 minute papers. Her quickest time so far is 34 minutes and her higest score is 46/50.

My dd and I feel her scores are good although realise ofcourse she will need to work on speed but feel that she will speed up over time. After each test I make a note of scores on each type so I can see what ones are hardest for her and we have found the ones where you haveto find closest in meaning(M's I think) are where she falls down.

We do have the Tutors CD's too which she has started using in between but she just practsies about ten of each type rather then the full 50 as she finds this boring.

We do also play compound word games(this has really helped) and have been trying to learn lots of other vocab by using flash cards. I find this very difficult as there are so many words we come up against that she doesn't know(not in our every day language) and she does find loking them up a bit boring.

Anyway thats us for now. Would be great to hear from anyone else. If you can offer tips or advice or I would welcome anyones comments on my dd's progress so far.

Mel
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Hi Mel,

Great idea! My dd is also making good progress with the IPS papers - we've got the Tutors CD but haven't started them yet.

DD copes with most question types quite well and is able to work steadily on most of them, except for Type C. She can do them, but very slowly compared to all the other types. We are currently working on ways of speeding up on these. To make it a bit more fun (!) I'm going to suggest making up a few codes ourselves. I also think that doing them letter by letter rather than working out the whole code first might be a better approach if speed is a problem.

I know that Type C came up on BOTH papers last year, don't know if they have overlapped in other years, though. In the meantime she is treating them like type Zs and leaving to the end, at least until we can pick up some speed.

Good luck and thanks for starting this thread - looking forward now to hearing from others in the class of 2008!

Marylou
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Marylou

Thanks for the reply lets hope lots join in.

Good idea about the codes I think especially if we ask DD's to make some up too for us. Maybe we could swap some that we each make up? My dd does these more slowly too although does manage to get them all right so like you just need to help her speed up.

The thing we find is that because each paper covers various types but not all are covered on each paper it is a bit hard to find the problem areas and it means that dd sin't getting the same amount of practise on all types. This is where the CD's are good as each of the testss are 50 of the same type. A bit much at first(dd got bored) but definitely good for concentrating on one type. What DD does is about 6 of say three types.

Anyway lets keep this topic alive and hopefully we will all get some good advice

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel and Marylou

There are various methods on codes, we never find the whole word or code. The quickest route my current children use is by firstly drawing an arrow to indicate whether they are moving from code to word or word to code, then only find the first and last letters [occasionally need to find 3rd or 4th letter, depending on letters given on the answer sheet...gt advantage of multiple choice.]

Mel, did you mean closest n meaning [type D] or analogies [type M]

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks, Patricia, for those tips on codes - we'll give them a try when we return to this type.

Mel, we'll probably be starting on the CDs this weekend - possibly as a break from the paper tests. At present we are doing an hour at the weekend (usually incorporating an IPS test) and half an hour one evening during the week, when we go over any problems or look at individual question types. We'll step this up with other types of practice as we approach T-day! I've got the 20-minute tests which are good since the answer sheets look more like the NFER ones than the IPS tests.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

When completing the CDs for the first time, it is important not to expect the student to complete all 50 questions in one sitting. Completing 15-20 questions at a time should be adequate and will help to alleviate the "boredom" of completing 50 of the same type of question.

The tests can be taken as often as needed, with the last 10 attempts recorded. If the CDs are used correctly the student should have no problem eventually completing a full set of 50 questions quickly and accurately.

As you get closer to the test date the questions become valuable as the student can focus on those question types that they find most difficult.

For parents who are just starting the process the Beginner CD questions are set at two levels with 25 questions for each level. The questions have been designed to gently introduce the student to the question types and the variances within question types.

Also there is a free Verbal Reasoning Method & Technique course that can be downloaded from this website or used on-screen which covers all 21 question types and their variances. We would suggest that any parent who is considering DIY should familiarise themselves with the Method & Technique course.

Short question papers have been written with 20 questions per paper set at 4 difficulty levels. These will be made available as e-papers, as soon as elevenplusexams.co.uk can arrange to host them.

Once the student is at the stage where he/she is familiar with the question types and is ready to advance to full question papers, 80 question papers are available as e-paper downloads.

When completing full papers it is important to complete papers in pairs to get full question type coverage.

If anyone has any questions relating to the Bucks eleven plus test content and format or require assistance on completing any of the question types, please post a message on the forum.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

As I seem to be pretty useless at rembering what type is what is there an actual list that defines them by thier letter. I have the list that is posted defining the Tutors and what letter type each number relates to but cannot find a list that defines what each letter or number relates to. I would ofcourse be happy to write one up but thought I would check here first before I do.

Thanks

Mel
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Marylou

I to have been doing about an hour once a week where we go over previous test and then do another test. Then on an adhoc basis DD has been using the CD or we play card games. I think as of next month I may structure the adhoc a bit more ie do that on a certain day. The trouble is sometimes just every day things seem to get in the way and it is hard trying to stick to the same day every week.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

If you take a look at the Tutors Demo, Mike has defined each of the types...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Patricia
andyb

Post by andyb »

Great idea to start up new thread.

I am also tutoring my son myself although it is a bit hit and miss! He is a very immature July birthday and doesn't quite grasp the significance of the 11+. Having said that, he is doing a selection of the recommended practice papers and usually getting high 60's to mid 70's out of 80. What I am finding hard is getting him to sit down and actually do the tests each week. We like the daily papers containing 10 questions as he can complete them in 5 minutes and then be off doing something else! At some stage I will have to be stricter about doing the full length tests regularly.

I fear that he will not do himself justice in October because of his lack of maturity - how many "bonus" marks could he get for his age? Also we are contemplating the possibility of a private school for year 7 and taking the 12+ - does anyone know if this is this an option?

Good luck everyone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now