HELP

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
flashismyname

HELP

Post by flashismyname »

my daughter passed for all of the Grammer Schools we put down. Should we send her to the private school or the normal grammer.

DESPERATLY NEED HELP!!!!!

FLASHISMYNAME

[color=red]Moved to Birmingham forum[/color]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Even if she passed all of the state grammar school exams she will still have been offered a place at only one of them.

The question are: -

do you and she like the school more or less than the private schools you have looked at?

is paying the fees for 7 years going to be a major strain on the budget bearing in mind that fees have more or less doubled in the last 7 years?
katel

Post by katel »

Need more info before I can judge. First thought is grammar school.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi Flashismyname

agree with katel, what are your choices ?, there are good grammar schools and great ones , as so for the independents.
You need to consider distance to both schools , has she any friends going to either schools, and of course the costs involved. But I suppose more importantly where would your child fit in best- where do they want to go?

We had to choose between a wonderful Independent school and a Grammar school.
The Grammar won for a number of reasons, firstly it is walking distance , and son felt comfortable there.

You can only make the right choice.
It is a position many would envy
good luck
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Hi Flashismyname,
Had the same 'problem!' In the end went with son's choice, although I would have preferred the other! :cry:
Good Luck. As mm2 said, its really a win/win situation! :lol:
flashismyname

Post by flashismyname »

hi

she got a scholership of 20% at the private school ( king edwards in edgebaston) and the other schools are king edwards in hansworth, sutton girls + Queen mary's.

She says she cant make up her mind between the 2 king edwards.

need some advice

Flashismyname
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

flashismyname wrote:hi

she got a scholership of 20% at the private school ( king edwards in edgebaston) and the other schools are king edwards in hansworth, sutton girls + Queen mary's.

She says she cant make up her mind between the 2 king edwards.

need some advice

Flashismyname
If she can't make up her mind and you will have to pay 80% of KEHS fees and there are no particular deciding factors such as ease of travel to one school or the other, then if I were you I would make up her mind for her and go for the free option, tbh. KEHS is a brilliant school, of course, and well worth the money if you can easily afford it, but if your daughter has no overwhelming desire to attend it and you don't live either very close to KEHS or a long/difficult journey from Handsworth then I would choose Handsworth. Just my opinion.
bagqueen

Post by bagqueen »

sorry to say this but my understanding is that you should have accepted place at Handsworth by 20TH march, if that was your intention. you may well have lost the place now.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

As bagqueen said, we had until 20th March to accept a KE school!
Also, as hermanmunster said, you would only have had one state school offer from the LEA!
Either someone has got very muddled up or............?! :roll:
mm2

Post by mm2 »

flashismyname
I do believe your posts sounds a bit fishy.
1. How is it possible to get all the offers from your LEA form, surely it would be the highest preference you passed on your form
2. The choice would then be Independent or the ONE state grammar offered
3. All deadlines for acceptance- independent or LEA have now passed.

I am happy to be corrected, but seems all a little confusing.

True or false?

mm2
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now