Getting a head start with child no.2

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

learner

Post by learner »

I did very little preparation with my son and happily he passed with quite a margin but the experience of looking around grammar and high schools and comparing the two has made me determined to help my daughter as I feel she may need a bit more help. She is only 7 but loves doing puzzles and challenges and I wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of some good question books aimed at Year 3s to help them get used to simple code-breaking etc that they will come across later. I know it makes me sound like a typical pushy mum but I should say she loves doing work like that (we have dipped into the Bond Assessment early papers aimed at her age group and she loves them but I wonder if there are any alternatives out there). Tx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Learner

You are not pushy - my DS2 loves puzzles and often attempts adult crosswords in newspapers just for the fun of it.

Why not buy a few of the most basic puzzle mags published for adults?

She will learn decoding skills and speed, practice mental maths, improve her vocab, etc. That will all hold her in good stead for the 11+.

As they are just magazines you will also be feeding her passion, rather than using formal tutoring materials that might put her off.

Sally-Anne
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

Hi Learner , my ds just passed his 11+ and did well but in hindsight I wish we had played scrabble alot more with him, it's great for learning new words and the meaning of words we take for granted and it's fun so they do not feel like they are learning . :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The game 'Boggle' is quite good too!
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

whats boggle? & where can I get it
learner

Post by learner »

Sorry for the delaying in responding to your suggestions - very helpful. We play scrabble quite a bit anyway but boggle and the code-breaker puzzle mags hadn't occured to me. I'm sure she'll love doing that. Thanks
learner

Post by learner »

Blanca - should have responded to your last question while I was on... Boggle is quite an easily available game where you press a tray with a 'popper' (bit like the game frustration) which jumbles about 9 or 10 dice each with different letters on each face. You have a set time to make as many words out of the letters shown/compete with others. Am sure we got ours about a year ago from Toys R Us for about £7-8 and I think (not sure) you can also get number Boggle. Great game for encouraging vocab.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thanks learner

will look out for it, sounds like a fun way to improve spelling.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can also get a PC version - but my child loved the noise of shaking the cubes around!