School not supportive

Post by worriedmum »

Thankyou
worriedmum

Post by worriedmum »

I forgot to mention that my childs report for Key stage 1 SATs
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are entitled to information about your child's progress and therefore they should give you a copy of the statistics. Did the school say why they wouldn't support you? If it is nothing to do with your child's academic achievement but more to do with policy that they don't support any appeal, then that probably needs to be spelt out somewhere also.
Good luck, - when is your appeal?
Bouga
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are entitled to information about your child's progress and therefore they should give you a copy of the statistics. Did the school say why they wouldn't support you? If it is nothing to do with your child's academic achievement but more to do with policy that they don't support any appeal, then that probably needs to be spelt out somewhere also.
Good luck, - when is your appeal?
Bouga
worriedmum

Post by worriedmum »

Thanks for the reply,
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry, what does "exams extra" mean?

What a shame your school does not "support appeals" whatever this means. Anyhow, this should not stop them providing you with scores from any sort of tests (better still if they are standardised in some way) they have held on your child.

Then if you write into the relevant sections on this forum with the test names, and the results, there may be people on here who can tell you whether the scores help you to argue your case that your child is in the top 25% of the population in whatever abilities your LEA / school is looking for .

You could always try a governor if you get nowhere with teacher / headteacher.

Good luck.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

You certainly should be able to get your childs exam / academic data from the school - I would have thought it comes under the Freedom of Information act... The school do not need to know what you want it for.

In my area, the county discourages schools from supporting appeals. Some teachers & heads will support them anyway, but others are more strict. It's partly because they can get flack from parents if they support one child in the school but not another - and what if one child's parent is also a parent governor or personal friend of the head?

Make sure you tell the panel that the school refuses to support any appeals.
Capers
worriedmum

Post by worriedmum »

Correct
worriedmum

Post by worriedmum »

will write to them

Thankyou
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Worriedmum,

We have been in your position and you automatically assume that if you don't have the schools backing you can't win. You can, Panels are aware this goes on.

Not supporting an appeal usually means no letters of support from the Head Teacher.
As a parent however you are entitled to know what marks and grades your child is getting. Write a letter to the Head Teacher (That means they will have to write back using headed school paper. :wink: ) asking for predicted SATs, and other optional years SATs.
Also ask if they have any other standardised scores for your child, along with reading and spelling ages.

You can do this..

Good Luck..

AM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now