Bucks 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dada

Bucks 12+

Post by Dada »

Hello all. Having discovered this forum a few days ago, I wondered why I had not been here before. What a helpful family.
I have read so much about 11+ but only a few about 12+. My story: Son scored 113 in 11+ and appeal was unsuccessful. We later discovered that his friends had private tuition and are now considering that. What do we need to know about 12+? Any idea of good tutors in North Bucks? I've read some success stories and want to hear people's experiences and advice. Please keep it coming. Thank you
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Dada

We are in the same position - failed appeal and planning to do the 12+. The paper is exactly the same question types, but a few extra questions in a slightly shorter time. (I think it's 85 questions in 45 minutes, but someone will tell me if I'm wrong - I can never remember.)

We have decided that because there is no guarantee of a grammar school place even if he passes it would not be fair to put my son through formal tuition for the 12+.

For tuition everyone is raving about the Tutors CDs available from this website - take a look at the demo version and see what you and your son think. It will at least give you an idea of whether your son has specific weak areas - certain question types, vocab, timing, etc. You can then always come back to the forum - the redoubtable Patricia has posted (and continues) to post on every imaginable specific issue.

Tuition is an eye-wateringly expensive business, as we know to our cost (forgive the pun!), and the CDs are an awful lot cheaper. I shall buy them and let him play around with them from around 3 months before the exam.

The other thing that is very important is that you must register your son for the 12+ yourselves - the process is not managed through the school. The Bucks CC website has yet to be updated with the deadline for applications for this year, but you can email them for a registration pack.

admissions@buckscc.gov.uk

Best of luck
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Hi Dada,
sorry to read about your son's score.Shame you were not aware of available tuition.It's very much a parental choice.You should check your local press for tuition or the yellow pages.How about asking the parents of his friends who passed?Unfortuanately,some parents make it a closely guarded secret!
Even when you do find one ,make sure they know their stuff! I mean the exact reguirements for bucks! Don't pay for baby sitters! By that I mean tutors who will sit for 50 mins whilst your child does a test paper and end up teaching for only 5-10 mins.! Tell them you are happy to do the test papers under strict exam conditions ,you will mark them as they all come with answer sheets ,and what you want them to do is to teach on his weak areas and explain mistakes to them.If possible go by recommendation!
all the best.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dada and Sally-Anne

Deadline for late transfer is 20 December, see link page 24

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get//asse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... idance.pdf

Late transfer is Verbal Reasoning, multiple choice, 85 questions, 45 minutes. It would appear to cover the 21 types [plus an odd maths type] BUT as its only one test, there will be only about 12/13 appearing.

In addition, the children are NOT allowed to mark the question booklet, they are given a separate piece of paper for workings out. The answer sheet is a tad different too. eg a compound word question.

[A. all B. old C. sty ] [X.so Y. sow Z. led ]

The answer styled would be answered by putting a line next to C and Z on the answer sheet.

County will send a small practice test with confirmation of 'allowing to test'

Once you have applied for testing [before 20 December] County will write to your child's current school for a report, this report has to 1st class. level 5 SATs in year 6 predicted level 7 for year 9 SATs good indication of high sets for Maths, English and Science.

Should county refuse to test, then its an appeal, Etienne has stated that a higher proportion of children get through this appeal.

If you are applying for a foundation grammar, ie, RGS or Beaconsfield High. you apply directly to the school, they set their own tests, usually cross curricular.

Dear Dada

Any questions just ask, you do not HAVE to employ a tutor, you CAN teach your child yourself [ DIY ]

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Spot on with your comments on tutors, I 'teach' for 55 minutes [ 5min to talk to Mum at the end] leave test for parents to supervise under test conditions.

There are many good tutors, however you must thoroughly investigate, there are some horror stories, see the following link

viewtopic.php?t=733

In addition look at the section on Tutors, in particular.

viewtopic.php?t=339

Patricia
Dada

Thank you all

Post by Dada »

Thank you all. Very useful feedback. The issue of private tuition is one, it appears, we have think about carefully. Does anyone know a good memory techniques for childeren?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Patricia

Thank you for that link - even the school weren't aware of the deadline of 20th December when I spoke to them yesterday. What a shame that Bucks can't update the website link for the late transfer process more efficiently. One small correction, if I may - the relevant page is No. 22.

Thank you also for the information about the slight adjustments to the 12+ test - surely they aren't designed to catch children out??? :?:

Dada - I can only support what Patricia has said about tuition - you do not have to employ a tutor, but DIY instead. We found that our son could cope perfectly well with around 80% of the question types, so effectively 80% of the money we spent on a tutor was wasted. It is the remaining 20% that were the issue, and I am sure that the same is true of many children. With the support that Patricia and others offer on this website you could DIY for those. Apart from the tricky question types, the other common problem is timing, and the CDs from The Tutors will help with that.

All the best
Sally-Anne

Memory games and tutors

Post by Guest »

Bought my kids the Brain Training game for their Nintendo DS and its just great, incorporates quick recall maths, word memory, number logic and as a family we all compete on a daily basis. As a result, after 4 weeks my 10 year old who is about to sit the Bucks 11+ is a whizz at his tables, quick addition etc. especially if it means he beats the rest of the family by 0.5 of a second (could you be bothered!!).

Dada - tutors - we go to one in your area and are quite happy (ask me again on 30 Nov!) don't feel I can write their details but if you registered I could send you a pm.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Now that is such a brilliant idea! Strangely enough my mother has been asking about the Brain Training Game and is even thinking about getting a Nintendo DS to play it on - and she is well into her 70s! I think she feels it might stave off the mental ageing process for a little longer...

I am now hot-footing it to Amazon to order a copy for us. I think the idea of the whole family participating is wonderful - but I shall of course delegate the task to Granny!

Thank you Guest - every so often an idea comes up on this forum that is just priceless, and you have pretty well topped all the others (except perhaps Mike Edwards "Tutors CDs"!)

Sally-Anne
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Well that's your mother's Xmas present sorted! I am sure she will enjoy it especially batting against the grandchildren.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now