Good Luck part 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Good Luck part 2

Post by Guest »

All the best everyone taking their second test tomorrow (or thereabouts!)

Soon we can all relax!

Sara
angelz

Bring on the relief!

Post by angelz »

Thankyou Sara, my son will be taking the NVR in Grantham at the Kings tomorrow. I think he will need to sleep for a week afterwards.

Although he knows whatever the outcome we will be very proud of him he still feels the pressure. I suppose its just like taking a driving test, you know it doesnt matter if you dont pass but it doesnt stop the nerves!!

Good luck all, no more nerves until October when the results are posted.

angelz
kate1

helppanic

Post by kate1 »

Thanks Sara, and good luck to your son. You've all been a great support, especially in the dark unknown region of NVR and I imagine we all can't wait til its over. Good luck to all

Kate
ANDREW THE POET

A WORD OF CAUTION

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Hi ... it's all over!

The consensus was that it was 'easy'. For those of us in S Lincs there is the added complicated that there were large levels of Peterborough-based children taking the exam. This adds a relatively new dimension to the levels likely to be required for a pass mark and seems to be a symtpom of the impending upheavel in N.CAMBS schools. Many of these are to be closed and transformed into an academy. I suppose that parents here would rather send their children to an established school rather than risk these futuristic glass houses. For me, big is not beautiful. so who can blame them? Anyway, I hope that everyone is now RELAXING.
If you're reading this post and have a child in YEAR 5 then please don't do what I did in prepation for the 11+.
DON'T satisfy yourself with your primary school's official line of DON'T TRAIN YOUR CHILDREN IN TECHNIQUES: I've been playing catch-up with other children for the last month.
DO start early with preparation - NOW, I'd say!
DO use the software here .... it helped big-time!

Oh ... the rest of it's all been said before!
Keep smiling!
Andrew

Post by Guest »

Hi Andrew,

Yes, we have heaved a sigh of relief that it's over. Son said it was easier than the practices but that he found a couple hard. The structure of the paper seemed a bit weird - only 4 sections, each to be completed in 8 minutes with 16 quesions in 3 of them but 17 questions in the 4th.

Where did your son take the exams? Was it at Bourne? I can't see that large numbers of cross border children would affect the pass mark (unless N.Cambs children are brighter than Lincs children!!). Where it might make a difference though is in how hard it is to get into a particular school. Schools' admission criteria are not permitted to discriminate against applicants from other counties, so, for example, at Sleaford Carre's (our nearest G.S) boys from places over the border in Nottinghamshire would get a place before us' although we live in Lincs, because they are a litle nearer.

All the very best.

Sara
ANDREW THE POET

HERE'S HOPING

Hi there Sara,
My son took the 11+ at Spalding GS this morning. The format was a little odd - not sure why NFER can't now produce sample papers which mirror those now actually in use. Very many children found the NV to be easy - however, they could have all been bluffing! I
As regards cross-border applicants, I guess that the more competition there is for places then the more likelihood of a raising of the overall standard to pass. Equally, those primary schools from N.CAMBS who entered are generally considered to have good academic reputations. Ah well, I wouldn't be surprised if my son ends up being taught at home if all else fails as I have found the whole primary system to be very unresponsive - I talk as an ex-teacher myself. Here's hoping!
Take Care
Andrew
newbie36

marks needed

Post by newbie36 »

Hi I know this topic has been covered before, but now I have a better idea of how my son did I can ask more specific questions!

My son took the tests for Queen Elizabeth Grammer (Gainsborough) today and last Saturday.
On verbal he ran out of time answering 80 out of 100. The 80 he answered he feels hes got 7 wrong. Today (non verbal) there were 65 questions of which he couldnt answer 5, (and as I told him before, if all else fails guess!! which he did!). The 60 he answered he feels confident he got them right, even saying they were easy. So he feels he has got 60 out of 65. His birthday is in April so he is 10 years and 5 months.

My question is:
Gainsborough specify that the children need a total of 220 (standardised) 110 in each paper to probably pass. I am concerned that together his marks would probably be enough to pass, but separately the verbal reasoning would let him down. Any comments will be greatfully received. Thanks
ANDREW THE POET

DON'T WORRY WORRY UNTIL WORRY WORRIES YOU!

Hi there
ONLY leaving out five questions today looks like a good sign to me! Making allowances for a few wrong, this is still around 90%. Few children complete the verbal in its entirety, so if he is confident about this answers then you should have a good overall score - especially as his age is generally in his favour - my son is 11 next week! Who knows what might come into play with moderation - which could equally increase your son's overall standing.
Please don't take this as gospel, but my understanding is that Lincs schools seem to take from a wider spectrum of ability than schools in other parts of the UK - not just those with 85% + as is generally the consensus. My son's school suggested that 72% is generally considered to be a starting point for success. I guess this is because there is less competition up here in rural Lincs.
Anyway, I speak merely as an interested and anxious father! So, please feel free to contradict any of the above.

Andrew
newbie 36

anxious mum!!

Post by newbie 36 »

Thanks for your reply Andrew, much appreciated. The scores I presume are added together and then divided to get the overall mark? I think I'm more nervous now the tests are over!!
Thanks once again

Post by Guest »

Hi Newbie,

It is my understanding that the scores for the two papers are added together so that it would not matter if one score was much lower - you have to pass overall not on each individual paper.

I think we are all going to have to stop torturing ourselves over what percentage is "good enough" to pass. There are too many things we do not know to be accurate. It is hard though isn't it? At least one thing we do know is that it is clearly a bit easier to get through in Lincs than in some other places.

As an aside I am amazed at how well your son could recall what he had done. Mine is incredibly vague and I am reluctant to 'grill' him to try and fnd out more. What's done is done and I don't want him to feel it is the end of the world if he does not pass.

Wishing you all the best.

Sara
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now