Which School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ranjana johal

Post by ranjana johal »

Hello again
This is where I show my true ignorance - pardon me for asking but what are "CAF" and in that context, what are you all talking about.........?

We're from outside of Warwickshire (by some considerable distance) and so not familiar with the system in Warwickshire. We had just planned to register for the RHS exam (and yes I've been told that it's the 4th Oct) and provide the LA with proof of residency by mid Feb (via a tenancy agreement on a property we'll need to rent), hopefully get a "yes" on the 2nd March, put our house here on the market on the 3rd and look for a place in Rugby to buy from them. The plan was then to sell and move sometime after the 19th July but before the begining of September - ARE WE MAD......!!!!!!

This is a very scary site! Maybe we should have a plan B - we were thinking of entering our daughter for the Independent school 11+ exam here but we're deadset on moving - I know there's the Rugby Independent school and it's good but they say they will only accept kids from "maintained or private schools" - what are "maintained schools" (not comprehensives I gusess....?) and are there any other "Independent" schools in Rugby you could recommend that do schlorships?

Reading this back, I feel we're mad!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again
This is where I show my true ignorance - pardon me for asking but what are "CAF" and in that context, what are you all talking about.........?

We're from outside of Warwickshire (by some considerable distance) and so not familiar with the system in Warwickshire. We had just planned to register for the RHS exam (and yes I've been told that it's the 4th Oct) and provide the LA with proof of residency by mid Feb (via a tenancy agreement on a property we'll need to rent), hopefully get a "yes" on the 2nd March, put our house here on the market on the 3rd and look for a place in Rugby to buy from them. The plan was then to sell and move sometime after the 19th July but before the begining of September - ARE WE MAD......!!!!!!

This is a very scary site! Maybe we should have a plan B - we were thinking of entering our daughter for the Independent school 11+ exam here but we're deadset on moving - I know there's the Rugby Independent school and it's good but they say they will only accept kids from "maintained or private schools" - what are "maintained schools" (not comprehensives I gusess....?) and are there any other "Independent" schools in Rugby you could recommend that do schlorships?

Reading this back, I feel we're mad!
The CAF is the Application Form which has to be filled out (by a certain date I cannot currently remember) to show the order of schools that you wish to apply to. You put your first preference at the top. Obviously, if you put a grammar at the top and then your child does not gain a place, the local authority then looks at th eschool you placed second on the list etc. Currently, the children sit the 11+ and almost simultaneously, certainly before we know the results, we fill out the CAF. Then we hear nothing until March. At this time we find out which school our children have been allocated.

I am not sure which Rugby Independent school you are referring to? Rugby School? If so, they have a special junior section called marshall House which I think you may be referring to. If so, they take pupils from 'normal' primary schools - children who have NOT been in the private/independent sector. If this is what you are referring to, let me know as my son has just accepted a place there and I may be able to help you further.
ranjana johal

Post by ranjana johal »

Hi Ed's Mum
Thank you for your swift response.

not sure what we'll do about the CAF form as we don't have any knowledge pertaining to Secondary education in Rugby other than the two selective schools and Ashlawn, guess we could put this down as the next choice.

And yes I was thinking about the Rugby School - confusing with the name being so similar to RHS. I looked on the site yesterday and what I've gleaned is that they do offer schlorships, not sure to what degree and that it's all means tested anyway. I was just looking at our options and wondered if we should apply to sit for all private schools within Rugby and I was trying to understand what's on offer re. schlorships.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as always!

R
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

not sure what we'll do about the CAF form as we don't have any knowledge pertaining to Secondary education in Rugby other than the two selective schools and Ashlawn, guess we could put this down as the next choice.

And yes I was thinking about the Rugby School - confusing with the name being so similar to RHS. I looked on the site yesterday and what I've gleaned is that they do offer schlorships, not sure to what degree and that it's all means tested anyway. I was just looking at our options and wondered if we should apply to sit for all private schools within Rugby and I was trying to understand what's on offer re. schlorships.
Well RHS and Ashlawn are two great choices!!
Yes they offer scholarships but the maximum % (before means-testing) is 10%. Obviously, you know your financial situation, but if you are not on a low income, you can expect to pay 90% of the fees even with a scholarship. The good thing is that there is an extremely detailed form to fill in for the bursar if you do want to ask for financial assistance, and they let you know an extremely accurate amount that they would expect you to pay IF your child is fortunate to gain a place. So you can know all of this in advance of deciding whether your daughter should sit the test. DO contact the school or access their website www.rugbyschool.net and read the section about scholarships and entry at 11+. Please be aware that competition for these places is tough - particularly for girls (more on that later) as most children are admitted to the school at 13 rather than 11 and the ones admitted at 13 sit the tests 2 years before - at age 11- so when a child sits the test for 11+ entry she is competing with others from private schools who will join her 2 years later at 13.
It is more difficult for girls to gain a place as the % of boys to girls is greater - more boys are at the school I think due to it having been an all boys school for the majority of the time. Not a huge % difference, but it does exist.
Hope this makes sense, if not I shall try again!!

There are lots of good schools available in Warwickshire, so try not to worry too much - although I don't really know about other state schools other than RHS, Ashlawn and LSS (for the boys)
ranjana johal

Post by ranjana johal »

Thankyou again!

It makes more sense now. rugby school does look fab but with only 10% on offer (and I'm sure between the two of us, we'd be over the threshold for consideration for the scholarship anyway)it may be that this school out of reach for us. With two kids and the added expense of having to relocate and the additional costs associated with getting to work I think we'd be putting ourselves under too much pressure and we're used to quite a bit of "fat" in the way we live and I don't think we want to change that. We chose Rugby because of RHS and LSS and because we can still relocate and keep our jobs here. I'll look at the www to see what else is on offer - alternatively there's always our own Private schools here (not sure re. scholarships though) but at least we wouldn't have to move. But it's not entirely financial is it. As I'd said in a previous posting, my daughter's had problems with schools and "fitting in" and that's both Comp's and Privates. Having been to RHS, i can't help feeling it's the right school for her.

Let's see what happens. What will be is meant to be and I'll leave it at that.
Thank you all for all the great info that's been shared on this forum, if I find out anything else i'll be sure to post an update.
Good luck to all who are helping their kids with prep for this year's exams - it's going to be a long hard summer but worth it in the end......!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Everyone reagardless of where they live has to complete a CAF - you should get it from your child's current Primary school or your LA.