nfer practice score as predictor of school place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PMJ

nfer practice score as predictor of school place

Post by PMJ »

Hi all,

I'm interested to hear people's stories about practice papers and final rankings.

We've been doing the age-related Bond tests as a gentle warm-up at which my daughter has been doing really well. I was getting a bit smug.

We tried our first nfer practice paper last night and she got 51/85 (60%). I did my best to make sure it didn't bother her ("great - now we know what we're aiming for"), but I'm not feeling smug any more!

I've done a rough and ready calculation and not accounting for the mysterious weightings, it looks like the 'pass' is around 75-80% and reading into what others have said here that you need to be getting another 10% on top of that to be getting a place. (We're looking at Stroud High.)

What were people getting at their first attempt and then leading up to the exam, and what was the result?

Any reassuring stories? Like "we got 50% with our first attempt in March and then ended up in the top quartile"?
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi there PMJ, and welcome to the forum.

I can't really speak for pass rates for Stroud High but I can assure you that the first practice paper my DS sat he scored very similarly to your DD but he did pass in November and gained a place a Crypt.

I assume you DD is in Year 5 and you have the right idea in starting early and the key really is practice, practice and more practice (with some fun in between)!

We didn't start very early but by the 4th paper my DS was scoring highly...at perhaps 85-90%

There is some excellent advice on this site with tips etc of how to familiarise your DD with best techniques.

I am sure others will be along with further advice so keep checking back and the best of luck for the exams!

B
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Welcome to the forum!
My DS had a tutor,just been offered a place at Crypt.
He regularly scored 85-90% in practice papers at home-however seemed to go to pieces a bit on the day.he has always been like this in tests at school so this wasn't really unexpected.
I can only echo what Burneth has said-practice makes perfect! I would not worry about timings at the start-this will get better after time.

Regards,
GM
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi PMJ,
My DD did about the same as yours at the same time of the year.(if you see what I mean!) She also had a tutor who did all did lots different makes of VR papers one was IPS (i think) and she also took her on to the Bright Spark series, in the summer, which she said are generally a bit more difficult than the NFER, she then left the practice papers from the school to do nearer the time.When my DD came on to these she found them quite easy.

Practice is key,as the others have said, plus loads of encouragement, and treats in between! we used to ask her meanings of words,and try to make our vocab varied too, times tables help with some of the maths questions,as they can improve the speed needed to work out some of the code questions. Our DD enjoyed all the work leading up to the test (odd child!) misses it somewhat now,so is replacing it with excessive SATS revision! totally unnecessary in our opinion.

Our DD secured a place at Pates, hope you have similar succes with your plans. Don't hesitate to ask any questions,there are lots of knowledgable people on here,(i don't know much, but can help with my own experiences.

Good luck! PM xx
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hello, good evening and welcome.

I'd agree with everyone else here - the purpose of the practice tests is just that - to familiarise your child, so I would certainly expect them to improve a lot. Quite how much to expect them to improve I don't know, as my dear child hasn't started on the test papers yet, she's just working her way through the individual question types.
Capers
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
magwich

Post by magwich »

Please do not worry - my eldest DD did the first VR paper she had ever done several weeks after getting a scholarship to Central High in Newcastle and got 64%. After a couple more papers she saw how to do them and passed the warwickshire11+. Younger DD went through the same process and passed for Pates and warwickshire. The first papers they both did were appalling but they got much better so do not worry.
stroud dad

Post by stroud dad »

tutoring eh! money talks. tutor your own children. yet again for next septembers intake everyone wants to go down that line. why dont you just put your child up against every other on a level playing field and see just how bright they really are. you can teach morals and respect and life skills, unfortunately you can pay for eleven plus success! oh well! dont delude yourself that this is the answer. your child is gonna suffer!
magwich

Post by magwich »

The only possible level playing field is for everyone to tutor their child and every school to offer tutoring as well without charge If half our schools were not run by embittered ex marxists this approach would be easier to implement but then if our schools were not run by them and their ilk we might not all be so desperate to escape to grammar and private schools
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now