King Edwards Handsworth School A Level Policy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ss1

King Edwards Handsworth School A Level Policy

Post by ss1 »

I have heard that KEHS will not allow students to progress to the Sixth Form if they do not attain a minimum level of Grade A's in their GCSE's, the number quoted is 6. I understand this policy was brought in recently as students were beginning to slack off as they progressed through the school. Can anybody shed any light on this, any further info would be much appreciated.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi ss1

This is fairly common throughout most of the KE Grammar as well as the KES and KEHS Independent Schools, although the actual numbers vary slightly.

Interestingly, the one KE grammar that is a little less strict is KEFW. We have heard from the Head and staff that they would in some circumstances allow a child with only a B at GCSE to progress to AS in that subject so long as their effort grades had been consistently high throughout. We were pleased with the school for taking this approach.

We know for example that KES (independent school) expects 6 A's at GCSE and will only allow students to take AS in a subject if they achieved an A at GCSE. The figures for KEHS is 4 A's.

Hope this this helps.

Ken
jah

Post by jah »

King Edward's Handsworth requires 5 A/A* from existing pupils, and 6 A/A* from girls entering the 6th form from outside. In some subjects, such as Maths, the GCSE paper attempted is more important than the grade. Full details of 6th form requirements are downloadable from school website.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Can anyone please tell me, roughly, what percentage equates to the desired A*/A at GCSE?
I appreciate that examination boards may differ in this.
DD is lucky enough to attend KE Handsworth, but as she is not one of the high flyers, :oops: I am keen to establish just how far away she is from the necessary 5 A*/A!
The thought that she may not be able to stay on for 6th form simply horrifies me! :shock:
Any help will be much appreciated!
Many thanks.
solimum

Grade boundaries

Post by solimum »

Yes they do vary, depending on how difficult the cohort find the paper as well, but you might find this useful as an example of the sort of scores needed for one board for one set of exams...

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA ... -JUN07.PDF

There is a lot of variation between subjects - but remember the marks are scaled before the boundaries are fixed, and I don't pretend to understand exactly how. As a rough guide the A* boundary for many "academic" subjects seems to be somewhere in the 70% to 80% range, but others with more detailed knowledge may be able to tell me if that is reasonable

The main website http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php describes the process in more detail and gives several more examples
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Kegs Mom 3 wrote:Can anyone please tell me, roughly, what percentage equates to the desired A*/A at GCSE?
I appreciate that examination boards may differ in this.
DD is lucky enough to attend KE Handsworth, but as she is not one of the high flyers, :oops: I am keen to establish just how far away she is from the necessary 5 A*/A!
The thought that she may not be able to stay on for 6th form simply horrifies me! :shock:
Any help will be much appreciated!
Many thanks.
I think it is the lazy ones who have not put much effort into GCSEs that the school would be anxious to see leaving before A levels. If your daughter is hardworking and conscientious and has made steady progress during her years at the school then you don't need to worry too much - she will almost certainly get the right grades anyway. The fact that she is not one of the high flyers doesn't mean she is not capable of As and A*s. The KE schools are not ruthless in the way that some of the London grammar schools are, and will want to do the right thing by their pupils. I have known even lazy pupils with relatively bad grades (normally boys :lol: ) who have been allowed to stay on at 5 Ways on the promise that they will have to leave if they don't pull their socks up.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

solimum and KES Parent,
Thank you both for the swift replies, very much appreciated!
solimum, thank you for the great links, very useful! In my ignorance, I had visions of percentages of over 90% :!: being required!
KES Parent, thank you for all the reassurance!
DD is, on the whole a good, hard-working student. However, I have recently seen a couple of 'end of topic' test results which have made me wince!
On discovering the need for 5 A*/A, I felt a real sense of panic! DD is more of a solid 'B' :!:
Hopefully, next year, when options have been selected, concentrating on fewer subjects may improve matters!
I'm off now to study all the info on the links!
Thank you both again!
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

I know that Camp Hill Girls says 5 Bs at GCSE for students who are already at the school, but they then say that they should have an A for the subjects that they want to study?! I don't know about incomers at 16.

If you are worried, why not ring the Head of middle school and have a chat about it.
solimum

sixth form

Post by solimum »

I also believe CHG requires nothing below a B in any GCSE subject for sixth form entry ( not sure if this is true but it seems to be a "well known" fact here) for external entrants, which could be a little unfair on pupils from schools who enter everyone for 11 or 12 GCSEs including subjects such as ICT or RE for which they may have no enthusiasm... The girls school seems to have fewer new entrants in the sixth form than the boys, certainly in my experience
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Thanks all, for the advice.
Think I'll wait a while before approaching the school, am hoping that when DD can drop subjects she's not so keen on, end of next year, we may see required improvement!
Thanks again. :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now