anagrams

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mickey

anagrams

Post by mickey »

Hi can anyone out there give me any advice on anagrams...for some reason my daughter struggles with these, we've tried the usual ie looking for letter combinations and putting matching letters together ie "sh" but she blanks on them even when putting the letters in a different order....her test results are all aprox 80% plus but a big anagram section on VR could make or break for her
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Hi Mickey

I always find that writing the letters for the anagram in a circle always helps my daughter guess the word more quickly.

I hope this helps

Dougal
mickey

Post by mickey »

have tried this too to no avail...thanks for the suggestion though....any more ideas anyone?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mikey

Sounds as if you are doing all the right things

1] letter combinations

2] reordering the letters

3] putting letters in a circle

The sentence should always be a 'clue' the only option left is to practice, practice, practice. Make up some of your own, give your daughter 5 a day.

Good Luck

Patricia

Anagrams

Post by Guest »

If by circle technique you are saying to write out the letters so that they form the circumference of a circle then that's not such a good idea because the letters will still be read sequentially either clockwise or anticlockwise. Rather arrange them randomly within the area of the circle. That way your eye is guided to more possibilities for rearranging the letters. That's the technique used by Countdown experts! Also look for common endings to words such as 'ing', 'ed', 'ier' etc
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now