How much emphasis on Ofsted reports when choosing schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Glos_Mum

How much emphasis on Ofsted reports when choosing schools

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I must admit I only made a cursory glance at the OFSTED reports when researching schools,probably because I knew that Crypt and Tommies were both not "failing" schools.
In our case DS didn't like Crypt at all on 1st glance but after an open day experience and Science day there with his primary school he changed his mind! Tommies has always had outstanding reports but,and this is my opinion only,seems to be a little too "hothouse" for my son.I found this when looking around both schools-at Tommies the boys all had their heads down,not 1 murmur out of them,seemed a little robotic! However at Crypt there was plenty of discussion going on in class(between teacher and boys I might add!) and I got a better feeling about the place.Just my opinion,others will see it entirely differently.

I did note that on both their last 2 OFSTEDs comment has been made about ICT provision-and this in a school that asks parents to contribute to the laptop scheme? May be a few questions asked at the elearning meeting in May... :wink:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I'm not from your area so can't advise you on the schools that specifically interest you, however, visit each one at least twice. Try to visit at an inconvenient time to the school to see how well you are received. :wink: A decent school will bend over backwards to try to accommodate you.

Do you and your child feel comfortable moving about the school? Do you feel safe?

Have a chat with parents whose children are already in the school? Get them to tell you everything, 'warts and all'. Year 7 parents will be of particular interest to you.

Avoid rumour mongers with no connection to the school - visit yourself and make your own mind up.

Yes, read those Ofsted reports, but they should only tell you what you already know in the first place. Sometimes I wonder exactly who dreams up the info that goes into the reports. There's a grade 1 school that I know of and I would never send my child to that school. A friend of mine happily placed her child there last year and is bitterly regretting it. I would prefer the grade 4 special measures one down the road. I would take these reports with a pinch of salt and go on your own instincts.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I did visit both schools in year 5 so did feel less stressed-however after DS suddenly changed his mind it turned everything on its' head! :?
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You should phone up and visit next term during the school day - if they say 'no' you should wonder why.

Recent OfSTED reports are not very enlightening - they test the SLT's knowledge of the school and its strengths and they don't dig too deep if the results seem OK. A dip in results (even slight) before an inspection means 'satisfactory' is the best you can get. Sometimes I have read a report and wondered if they went to the right school :lol:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have to agree with Guest 55, sometimes the reports resemble something that would not look out of place amongst a collection of fairytales and should start Once Upon A Time......

If Ofsted visits were unannounced I'd have more faith in them.
When The Visit is about to take place the litter gets swept up, the paint tins come out, new displays go up and the kids get told what their learning objectives for that lesson are!!!

Regardless of whether the school is a primary or secondary, grammar or comp, you must visit. Be awkward.
I say "Sorry, work nights/shifts and couldn't get time off" or "Just had a family upset" etc etc and see how flexible the school is. Most schools do all they can to accommodate you. If they won't - simple - don't go there!

Years ago, when I was looking at primaries, I had no option but to take my baby daughter. The Deputy Head took one look at her and said "I hope you are not going to bring that in here". Needless to say, it wasn't one of my choices.

And don't be fooled by gossip. I didn't view a comp further away due to the poor reputation. I now work there and can see for myself what a good school it really is. How foolish I was to disregard this school and it will be one of my choices if my younger daughter is 'non-selective'.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

One of the main problems at Marling, from what I'd read in the local press, seems to be the Governors. No one is sure who elects the Foundation ones, and there seem to be 2 or 3 opposing groups within the governors.

I'd also heard from a friend (not from the school) that 3 experienced Additional Governors have very recently been appointed by Shire Hall to sort it out. I would expect good changes in a year or so.

Why would I choose Marling if I had boys? Distance and close links with Stroud High, some shared buildings, mixed extra-curricular activities and at least a chance to mix with girls. But then I went to a mixed Grammar, and have always preferred co-ed. Marling is supposedly good at Sports & Engineering, but I'm not into those things, so they don't interest me!
Capers