For KeMUM oe KenR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Helpfull Parent

For KeMUM oe KenR

Post by Helpfull Parent »

KenR / KeMUM - Question, what is the best advice for child taking the test in Nov , pen or pencil. It may sound a stupid question, but I will share my concerns hilghlighted to me by a worried parent. The parent informs me that in past years, tests have been altered/ rubbed out when pencils have been used, to the davantage of passing or disadvantage of failing some students, far fetched I know, but these days anytlehing is possible. If you have a chip on your shoulder, and didn't trust the system this theory may holod true. I suppose one the BBC may make a documentary and someone will say I told you so.......!

The other theory this concerned /paranoid parent has is, are the children given cnadidate numbers or do they write their names on the test sheets. I have noticed that the registration forms all have numbers and ask for child's photo to be attached to it. I suppose this parent also has the opinion that the entrance exams must also maintain an equilibrium of children's status, gender, ethnic group enterned into the schools, I doubt that myself etc. I suppose he/she is looking to gain an unfair advantage by using colour/gender/status as a means to make the case when it may come to appeal.

Will be interesting to know........
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

I believe that all writing materials are supplied at the exam centre. I suspect that this will be pencils.

I must admit that the rumours spread about by some Birmingham parents seems to have led to some fantastic stories circulating.

There was a rumour that children who take the later reserve test (due to illness on the day) seem to do better in the exams. The result being that we heard that some parents deliberately ensure that their child is 'Sick' on the date of the exam to ensure they take the reserve date. This gives them a better chance of passing.

The photo requirement is easy to answer; there were rumours flying around about older sibblings or friends taking the test for someone else. The truth only coming out after a child had passed, received a place and then the school finding out they could hardly read or write at all. The photo was just to make sure the the same child in the photo took the test and then attended the school.

We also heard some wild stories about some children being allowed to take the test again (and passed) after being emotionally upset during the 1st test.

I have to say that I take most of these rumors and stories with a fairly large pinch of salt!
Helpfull Parent

Post by Helpfull Parent »

Going on from your theories, when we were looking around for a tutor for our child, I used the local Solihull parent that advertises tutoring; on occassions when I rang two different tutors, I was flatly turned down. So, to prove my hunch that these tutors were racist, I asked my english freind to phone and book classes with these tutors, and guess what?, they were given times and days as to when they enrole, quite amazing how deep feelings run in some establishments. Both these tutors advertis as experienced teachers, do you think that they take their biggot view to school. I am an asian, and I don't have any issues with who I am. I have coached my son on the imprtance of communication and the imprtance of english !! I hope he proves these tutors wrong !!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Helpful Parent

I am thoroughly saddened by your experience.

I have a firm belief that there is good and bad in ALL races/colours, nobody should judge a person on colour or background. Judgement can only take place once you have got to know the person.

Patricia
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Helpful Parent

Saddened to hear of your experiences with racist tutors. I'm afraid the educational sector does not have immunity from such individuals.

Have you found a tutor or are you going to tutor yourself?
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Dear Helpful Parent

Don't worry about any jiggery pokery! So much has been said in the past about one room being told something that another room hasn't, etc, that the tests are now on tape so that all children hear the same. They are very familiar with this method because their SATs are on tape also.

The school give the children everything they need in terms of stationery on the day and I know that my daughter quite enjoyed it. You will see if you stand at the school gate that there is a huge racial mix at the school, so having an Asian background will not disadvantage your child at all.

I think people are worrying now that the test is looming, but you need to try to stay calm for your child's sake. There is so much rubbish said about the test and how awful it is - it is hard but my littlest came out smiling so it can't have been such an awful experience. You have to ignore all that people say and just try to do your best for your child and try to stay calm in the midst of the madness.

Good luck to you and everyone else who reads this site.

To KenR or KEMum

Post by Guest »

Hi KenR/KEMum

Can you please tell me if the complete test is multiple choice or standard or will they be either.

Kind regards
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

You talk about "standard" which refers to NFER presumably. The tests aren't NFER, they are set by the University of Durham, so they won't be anything like the NFER Multi Choice or Standard Versions. You will get an example of the test when you have registered and this shows the format. The tests are Multiple choice with the kids marking answers on the papers, ie not on a separate piece of paper. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Hi KEMum

Thanks for the above information it seems much clearer now.

I say you are extremely helpful, most parents whose kids have sat the tests last year would want to forget the whole senario but you have been a total saviour helping us parents and also to some extent going through it again yourself. I'm glad there are people like you and KenR who can empathise with this years us.

X
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi Guest

Didn't see your message! Thank you and I am glad if my messages can help you feel a bit less stressed.

Good luck to your son/daughter.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now