CRGS - visits

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

CRGS - visits

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Does anyone know if you can arrange an individual tour to see CRGS, and do you get to meet with the head? Also does anyone know how long the head has been in his position at CRGS?
KB

Post by KB »

If you are thinking about year 7 entry then don't think that CRGS will arrange individual tours ( probably because of weight of numbers applying). They have an open evening towards beginning of Autumn term for 11plus applicants which includes talk from the Head.
For sixth form entry they have open evening in Autumn term & then applicants have individual interviews between Christmas & mid/end February.
Don't know how long Mr Jenkinson has been Head but certainly more than 8 years! Have you looked in the on-line prospectus?
Hope this helps.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks KB. I have looked and emailed but still waiting for reply. How visible is the Head at the school. Sme Heads are never even seen unless a kids about to be expelled!
KB

Post by KB »

Not sure how good they are with e-mail - think just getting to grips with it as means of communication with parents etc. Recently started e-mail option for letters home.
The Head does get involved - some teaching, coaches public speaking etc & often around school apparently. You can see him on parents' evenings if you wish.
Boys we know at the school have fairly high profile so guess not necessarily fair test that he knows them pretty well!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KB wrote:Not sure how good they are with e-mail - think just getting to grips with it as means of communication with parents etc. Recently started e-mail option for letters home.
The Head does get involved - some teaching, coaches public speaking etc & often around school apparently. You can see him on parents' evenings if you wish.
Boys we know at the school have fairly high profile so guess not necessarily fair test that he knows them pretty well!
Is the high profile because they are academic or sporty or for another reason?
KB

Post by KB »

Academic - also involved with extra-curricular activities of various kinds, which is very much encouraged.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

T.i.p.s.y. I thought you were deciding between two famous independent schools ...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm deciding on three although the option of grammar v independent may eventually not be as difficult as E v W as they are quite similar - I make life difficult for myself! :roll:
KB

Post by KB »

T.i.p.s.y.
If you'd like to share whether you are looking at year 7 or year 12 entry, area you live & other options being considered I might be able to give you helpful info.
My experience of CRGS v Independent sector is that while opportunities for extra curricular are available at CRGS is it easier for students to avoid them than it is at independent schools. :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KB wrote:T.i.p.s.y.
If you'd like to share whether you are looking at year 7 or year 12 entry, area you live & other options being considered I might be able to give you helpful info.
My experience of CRGS v Independent sector is that while opportunities for extra curricular are available at CRGS is it easier for students to avoid them than it is at independent schools. :)
:) I am actually looking for a Year 9 place where I believe ther are 4 vacancies each year. My son is also registered for Eton and Winchester but I do not know how much added value they give, given huge fees, over this great grammar school. :?