comparing the chances of a grammar school place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janel

comparing the chances of a grammar school place

Post by janel »

Please can anyone shed any light on HOW to go about comparing the chances of gaining a grammar school place in 2 different areas? I know anecdotally that Kendrick is very hard to get into . That is currently the only grammar option for my daughter to try for.

I have an opportunity to re locate and am looking at Gloucestershire where it seems to be possible to put 3 grammar schools as your choices but to take only one entrance test which is common to all the grammar schools in the region

This would appear to suggest that my daughter would have a greater chance of a grammar school place in Gloucestershire than in Reading, but is it as simple as that? DOes anyone know of formula for working it out, or what I should be considering or better still a website where someone else has calculated chances of a place??
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Not sure :D

We know that Bucks takes the top 3rd, percentage wise. You need to be in catchment. They only sit the one test, VR, but do it twice and put the best score down as the score achieved.

Kendrick is renowned to be exceedingly hard. It depends upon your child, and where they are academically, compared to the children who will also be sitting the tests. So, very hard to guestimate, unfortunately.

I'm afraid, looking at all the areas on the forum and gaining an understanding of how each region works, is the only way to get the information you are looking for.

Our junior school had 5 boys gain places at Reading Grammar, and 0 girls into Kendrick this year. Last year it was 2 boys and again 0 girls. I have been told that our current yr6 is an extremely strong cohort, and It's the first time they have got 5 through the 11+. It varies year on and per cohort.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

janel,

I can understand what you are trying to do, had a go at calculating the odds myself a couple of years ago. :shock:

Do not want to put anyone off so please take with a large pinch of salt.

Looking at Reading catchment and trying to estimate possible boys in catchment and making a few un-scientific socio-economic adjustments I arrived at top 5%.

For Kendrick with no catchment so it is harder top 3%?

Reading School produce a travel plan which tells you where geographically the kids come from.

steve
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Janel,

At the risk of repeating myself, I just wanted to give my perspective on Kendrick relating to my own DD who didn't get in this year.

Ten girls from my DD's primary school (which is about 2 miles from Kendrick) took the test, most of whom are pretty bright in my opinion, and only one girl scraped in from being on the reserve list.

From a personal viewpoint, my DD recently achieved high level 5s in practice SATs and is working at a level 6 in Maths and she STILL wasn't good enough on the day and only managed to finish in the top 35% or so of candidates. Admittedly, this was mainly down to some silly mistakes in the Verbal paper - I know this is true as my DP went to have a look at her papers because we were quite surprised at her result. In fact, whilst there he was told that some girls (poss two or three) scored 100% in the Verbal test :o :shock: (to give you an idea of the extremely high standard).

In my opinion, for Kendrick, your child needs to be either highly gifted/massively coached/get a slice of luck on the day. My DD fell into none of these.

Whilst not wanting to put you off, I can truthfully say that whilst we don't regret anything, we woudn't do it again, bearing in mind that we always had a good back-up school.

Hope that helps and Good Luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Ella
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Janel, As you stated, in Gloucestershire there is one VR test which applies to all the Grammar schools,and the children usually take the test at their preferred school.

Depending on which schools you place in what order on the CAF,and your DD scores, you then have a choice.Although you would only be offered one place for the school that she qualified for.

Pates is the most difficult school to gain a place at (the only mixed Grammar) as they only initially offer places to children who are in the top 120.

With the end of the first prefernce system, this means you still have the chance of a second preference grammar,and your choice of comprehensive will still become your first choice if your DD was unsuccessful with a Grammar place.

Hope this has been helpful, good luck!

Best wishes
PM x2
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I would agree with Steve's un-scientific socio-economic adjustments which arrived at the 5% and 3% figures, for the Reading Grammars. Again, nothing is concrete.

As importantly, I agree with Ella. We have two Excellent comprehensives in our borough, and in all honesty would probably not consider the grammars if we were in catchment for either of these.

Perhaps if moving, you could take a look at what the alternatives to the grammars will be. That way you will have all eventualities covered, if that route doesn't pan out.

Good Luck

BW