Ribston Hall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dayn

Ribston Hall

Post by dayn »

I asked a few days ago if anyone had any experience on appeals at Ribston, there seems to be a lot of information on the boys grammar schools on this website but not so much for the girls.
I am planning on appealing, but the appeal hearing wont be until June- such a long time to wait!
Does anybody know roughly how many appeals each school hears?
Would be grateful for any information
Thanks
sem

Post by sem »

Hi Dayn

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of appealing for Ribston myself but I do have a friend who is appealing for Ribston this year.

I'm in the process of appealing for the High school and our appeals will be heard from the end of May through to July.

If you look on www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/schooladmissions there are phone numbers for you to phone to get information. It's worth a try. I have found them to be very helpful.

Hopefully someone will see your post and be able to give you more information than I can. :?

Good Luck :)
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hello Dayn,
Most of us active users on the Gloucestershire part of the forum do indeed have boys! However for the number of appeals for last year for each school you may find this link useful-

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/utili ... iaid=21893

I know that Ribston did not offer places to all girls who passed and put them as 1st choice,so I assume they have a waiting list for these children.

GM
dayn

Post by dayn »

Hi,
Thanks for replies.There is a waiting list for Ribston and I know there were 12 girls on it, but not sure how much that has changed with reconsiderations etc.
Why are the appeals so late? Do they work it like that on purpose to try and put people off?
My daughter will have almost left her primary school by the time we find out!
guest87

Post by guest87 »

Hi dayn,

I know that a few girls who have places at Ribston are appealing for Denmark Road to fill places there (that's just the gist from this forum).

If your daughter is on the waiting list for Ribston, she may stand a good chance of getting a place if appealing on the grounds of oversubscription.

As regards appealing against non selection, I don't really know.

Good luck.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

dayn wrote:Hi,
Thanks for replies.There is a waiting list for Ribston and I know there were 12 girls on it, but not sure how much that has changed with reconsiderations etc.
Why are the appeals so late? Do they work it like that on purpose to try and put people off?
My daughter will have almost left her primary school by the time we find out!
Hi Dayn and welcome to the forum.

I am appalled at the lateness of the appeals process in Gloucestershire - like you say it is not fair on the children to have to wait that long to find out which school they will be attending. I really hope it isn't set that way to put people off!!

There is good news in that there were places not filled at the High School and therefore I suspect many of those will be filled by children already holding a place at Ribston which will eventually free up places there. I wish you every luck with your appeal and please let us know how you get on.

B
x
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
dayn

Post by dayn »

Thanks for your good luck wishes Burneth, I think I might need them as my daughter didnt pass the exam :( she was close- only 2 marks off, but she has a September birthday so I guess that went against her. Really annoying to know that if she had been born later in the school year she would have probably passed. Does anybody know exactly when in the school year the age makes a difference to the score?
Just wondering really as my other daughter is taking the exam in November, so I have to go through it all again!!!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Burneth wrote: I am appalled at the lateness of the appeals process in Gloucestershire
It does seem to be a little late this year. My panel were given a list of dates and asked which we could make - and they had to be two consecutive days. I think it's likely to be early June. But I'm told that there seem to be far less appeals this year, so we could (in retrospect) have just been asked for single days - and maybe we could have done some in May - but no-one knew how many appeals there might be when fixing the dates.

Don't forget, also, that we're volunteers and some of us have full time jobs that we have to get annual leave from (and loose out on family holiday time) - we're not paid to hear the appeals.

Anyway, annual retraining in the next week or so (another day off work).
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now