Total beginner - help!!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
total beginner

Total beginner - help!!!

Post by total beginner »

I am a complete beginner at 11 plus and we haven't a clue when or how to begin? I was told that my daughter is top in all the core NC subjects and now she is in yr 5 in a state school and yet the school is not helping? Moreover state school standards are supposed to be low and besides we have no idea what level 4a mean in any case.

We don't want her to go to grammar schools in particular but she does want her to sit for 2 nearby private schools scholarship entrance exams (as she likes those 2 schools very much!) which I was told are like the 11 plus except that it consists of just Maths and Eng tests of a very advanced standard!

HOW do we begin? There are SO MANY in the market to choose from that we are thoroughly confused!!!

Is 0.5 hr a day enough? Can we do just 2 hrs every weekend? She has many other extra-curricular activities which she enjoys! I am hoping that if I start early, we can take it easy with 2 hrs at most each week so she can still do her swimming, etc.

Please advise! Thanks!!!
helen

11+

Post by helen »

Level 4a is very good, this is the level they are expected to achieve towards the end of year 5, from the level 3's it goes 4c, 4b, 4a and then moves to the next level. I am sure that is how it works.

We are in the same situation as you with a daughter in year 5, I have bought lots of 11+ practice books, especially non-verbal reasoning because the more they practice the answers will come more naturally, I started my daughter on a non-verbal reasoning age 8-9 and then work up to the next age, it helps them to understand what to look for before the harder ones begin.

From my point of view it is best to do practice everyday, about 10 minutes rather than cramming 2 hours over the weekend.

Even though my daughter is at a level higher than the average we have a Maths tutor every fortnight to go over any problems and to encounter new areas of maths.

Most of all I would keep everything calm, best of luck.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi beginner

Confusing, isn't it? Firstly, you need to find out which tests the private schools set - Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal, English, Maths etc.

Then, as Helen suggested, start low to build confidence. For example, on verbal reasoning, use Bond papers age 8/9 (available on this site).

You may find more information if you post under the relevant county forum (further down on the front page) for the schools you are interested in. Most of the County forums are very active.

Also, just keep reading and watching the information on this forum - it is the very best resource there is on the subject.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You can also post on the Independant School section with more specific reference to the schools you are looking at.
total beginner

help!!!

Post by total beginner »

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate your replies.

The school we are particularly aiming for is City of London Girls School. When I told the school, they told me that at her level of achievement, she does not need any tuition since she was already level 4 in yr 3 her class teacher said but it's obvious from here that the school staff are misled. So glad I found out now! I don't know how to access the London region as I'm very new to this website and only stumble on it when I voiced to a supply teacher at her school my concerns only this week!

Re. asking the school, sometimes the information a school gives is not totally accurate. For eg, one local private school told a friend that they only test Maths and Eng but after the interview, they also tested her child V and NV reasoning! Apparently, those who were not invited back for scholarships only did 2 subjects. In the end she got the maximum scholarship. Fortunately, her tutor taught her all four subjects!
total beginner

help!!!

Post by total beginner »

There ISN'T a London region!