what kind of % do you need to be getting in practice papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
icod

what kind of % do you need to be getting in practice papers

Post by icod »

to think you may have a chance. my son got 88% yesterday - he is in year 5 and i was really heartened.
also what % is added on for summer born kids?
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Is he doing the Bucks test 2 papers of verbal reasoning in October?

Was it a 80 quetsion in 50 minute paper If so 86% is very good at this early stage.

How is doing doing on timing

Mel
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

It also depends which practice paper he achieved this score on as some are easier than others. My son varies between getting 62 out of 80 on the more difficult papers up to 78 out of 80 on the more straighforward ones. It certainly helps with the confidence when they score highly though!
icod

Post by icod »

oh god i dont know what test it was! He goes to a tutor - tbh iItry to let her do it or I will turn into Mumzilla. :)

thanks all
mum3

Post by mum3 »

About the percentage added on for summer borns you need to read up about standardised scoring....its v complicated,good luck! There is a thread on here somewhere all about it. What area are you in?
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Bucks mum, can you give me an idea if bright sparks is one of the easier or harder tests?

Sorry cant help icod, only to say your not alone! lots of us biting nails/pulling hair out
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there Bucks mum I would also be interested to know what papers are hardest/ easier etc. Would you mind letting us know what you are using

Blanca are you doing the Tutors papers if so are they considered to be hard and how do we know anyway as what we may deem as hard when looking through our child may not.

Having wrote this I feell it si a question for Mike.

Mel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Mel X

The Tutors papers were written to compliment the NFER practice papers anf familiarisation tests.

The problem all authors are faced with when writing NFER type questions is that the practice papers only contain 15 question types. That is okay when writing for the 15 types except for one question type that only occurs once in the four papers.
However, when writing for the additional 6 question types we only have four or five questions for each type to work with that appear in the familiarisation papers.

The question variance within a question type needs to be considered, we think that our papers cover all the variances and therefore have a mix of "easy" and "difficult" questions.

The Tutors papers were written as part of a twelve week course. The first eight papers are consistent with NFER, papers 9 and 10 are slightly easier to boost confidence and papers 11 and 12 are slightly more difficult so that students were over-prepared for the test.

Too get full coverage of all the question types it is necessary to complete the papers in pairs. It is not unusual to find that students get better scores on odd numbered papers than even numbered ones, or vice-versa.

Elevenplusexams.co.uk currently have short question papers, written by The Tutors, based on three levels of difficulty, a fourth level is being written. These should be hosted as e-papers in sets of five.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Mike

I was hoping you would see my post. I know that different children will find different papers easier or more difficult but it's good to know as a parent whether some are deliberately made easier so we are not lead in to a false security.

I seem to recall when my son sat his school practise papers a couple of years ago, his teacher telling me the first and third were more dificult then the second paper which again was made to help boost the chiodls confidence.

Regarding doing the tutors papers in pairs. My dd did her first 80 question Tutors paper last night. I wasn't planning on giving her another until next week. Did you mean that we should ensure we give the tests in the right order.

Finally when you say the first 8 papers are consistent with NFER do you mean that they are of a similar difficulty so more in line with the real thing.

thanks
as always

Mel
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Hi Mel,

We have only been using the tutors cd, Did you get the full length test papers from this site? How did your dd cope with full length test? hope its still going well

blanca
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now