Sutton Grammar Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kristy

Sutton Grammar Open Evening

Post by Kristy »

We attended Sutton's opening evening. I'm a little confused. During his speech, the headmaster spoke of the entrance exam, "No need for fussy tutoring. If your son scored a level of around 4 or 5 in his SATS, he should be absolutely fine". We are currently working through practice papers for verbal reasoning (nfer). He also has a 40 minute tutoring session every week. Is anyone relying on SATS results alone? I would be interested to know. Could it be possible that all this revision is unnecessary?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

In most areas there is more coaching going on than teachers reckon. Teachers don't like tutoring because it makes it more difficult for them to assess children real ability.
I don't know about your school, but in doubt, I would revise.... I bet that most parents won't take a chance..
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Kristy

Absolutely agree with Catherine.

There are many children that score straight level 5s and still fail the 11 plus.

VR and NVR are not curriculum based,the Maths and English is pitched to a higher level than most children have covered by the beginning of year 6.

Get practising!

Which element is used for Sutton, who are the publishers?

Patricia
Kristy

Post by Kristy »

Thanks very much for your advice.

The entrance test for Sutton is a 50 minute verbal reasoning multiple choice, (based on the NFER Nelson, I understand).

English: 30 minutes comprehension and grammar and 20 minutes essay.

Maths: 30 minutes.

Currently we are practising the nfer Nelson verbal reasoning and also tests from this website.

Can I please ask your advice on what else to study.

My son's strongest area is English but I heard that not too much emphasis is put on the essay at Sutton.

I have seen no envidence that non verbal reason is part of the exam but we are spending small amounts of time on this. Would it be a good idea therefore, to drop this altogether and use the time productively in another area?

Post by Guest »

Hi
I would also recommend your son sits the SGS PTA practice mock exams that they do every year. My son is a bright lad, but failed their mock exam last year, quite badly. This alerted us to the fact that high SAT's results / predictions do not necessarily relect into passing the 11+ exams.
Please to say that after a bit of practise at home, he gained a place at Wilson's, Wallington, Christ Hopital...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now