Possible relocation to Chester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
essess

Possible relocation to Chester

Post by essess »

Hi, just looking for some help and advice really.

If our move takes place then we will be looking for a good school for our daughter who is currently in year 7 at Highsted Grammar in Sittingbourne.

She passed the Kent 11+ on her own merit, not spectacularly but with enough not to have to appeal, (her birthday is just past mid August).

I have spoken to Wirral girls grammar and they have said that she'd have to take English, Maths and Science tests to be evaluated and that the local LEA would then advise if she merits a place.

I'd appreciate ANY input or advice on what I may expect or if there are better or any other alternatives to Wirral girls.

Once I know if the move is definite then the first thing I need to do is sort her school out as this will dictate the area where we will look to live

many thanks in advance
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya
There is also a Grammar school in West Kirby which may be of interest,here is the link;

http://www.westkirby-grammar.wirral.sch.uk/

I don't know if its better than Wirral,the results are very similar .I can recommended it because my daughter is currntly in Year 9 and is very happy and we are very happy with all aspects of the school!

If I can help anymore please ask

Pensby
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

Hi there.

There are basically 3 Grammar schools for girls on Wirral (one of which is predominantly Catholic). Although they are broadly of the same standard 2 of the 3 seem to have been massively oversubscribed this year (West Kirby seemingly the exception) How that would apply to you coming in from outside I am not sure but to keep your options open I would consider West Kirby and Upton Hall. Apart from these you would have to go to Shropshire (1 school in Newport) , Liverpool (1 coed grammar) or South Manchester to find alternative grammar schools. There are none in Cheshire itself or North Wales.

There are also a number of girls only and coeducational independent schools in Chester, Wirral and Cheshire
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi essess,

If your daughter is already in year 7 she will be part of last year’s intake.
West Kirby Grammar was over subscribed that year, Wirral Girls currently have 146 girls in year 7 and there PAN is 165.
If your child meets the required standard there are the places available.

Besides Grammar schools we have some great non selectives to choose from Neston high and South Wirral being 2 of them.

Good Luck With the move..

AM
spital_parent

Post by spital_parent »

It does of course depend on where you are planning to live on the Wirral - but you have probably been through that if you are relocating anway - Pensby Girsl school is also a good choice.
essess

Post by essess »

We have not made any firm decision as to where to live and won't until we sort schools out, then we'll have a good look at a map and google earth to hopefully find somewhere with easy access to the school, be it train, bus or walking :D I really do appreciate all your suggestions and advice as it gives us a more informed choice and lots to research on the web!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now