Mitigating Circumstances - Special Measures

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lgasks

Post by lgasks »

If your child has attended an under-achieving school that has been under Special Measures would this in itself count as an extenuating circumstance. The reason I ask is because there has been a lot of disruption at my DD's school in the last 4 years including frequently absent Head and then subsequent departure of Head, then new acting Head, followed by another new acting head and then 2 years earlier another new Head when the Infants school amalgamated with the Junior school! (Yes, this has all really happened!) Although my DD has been in the top groups for all subjects that have been streamed and the situation has improved in recent months I do believe she could have done a lot better if the school had not been so under-performing.

I have submitted my appeal forms as I have stated previously and I have mentioned the school being in Special Measures on the appeal form but I did not go into all the detail as outlined above. I personally think the school has failed my daughter can I say this at the appeal and mention all the above? I am assuming the appeal will be both non-qualification and oversubscription.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, I think this would be valid as an extenuating circumstance, depending on what you are setting out to prove. It would help explain why KS2 predictions are not ideal, or why any curriculum-related 11+ scores are lower than they might have been.

Although it might be worth a brief mention, I wouldn't overdo it in your particular case, however, lest it distract attention from one of your strongest arguments (the problem associated with a noticeable dip in your daughter's performance that occurred over an extended period either side of the 11+, and which the headteacher can confirm).

I think you have enough in the way of extenuating circumstances. Academic evidence is the key.
Etienne
capers123

Re: Mitigating Circumstances - Special Measures

Post by capers123 »

lgasks wrote:If your child has attended an under-achieving school that has been under Special Measures would this in itself count as an extenuating circumstance.
Well, that's up to you, really. You can mention it and use it as the basis of the case, certainly for non-qualification. What weight the panel decides to give it is down to them.

Did any other children from that school pass and if so, was it a lower % of children or at a lower mark than expected?
Capers
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Etienne wrote:Yes, I think this would be valid as an extenuating circumstance, depending on what you are setting out to prove. It would help explain why KS2 predictions are not ideal, or why any curriculum-related 11+ scores are lower than they might have been.

Although it might be worth a brief mention, I wouldn't overdo it in your particular case, however, lest it distract attention from one of your strongest arguments (the problem associated with a noticeable dip in your daughter's performance that occurred over an extended period either side of the 11+, and which the headteacher can confirm).

I think you have enough in the way of extenuating circumstances. Academic evidence is the key.
I think what I'm trying to get at here is that even though I may be armed with level 5s in evidence from school, if I can get further clarification that they are 5b's say, then I could argue that if the school had not been a failing one my daughters predictions would have been 5a's. Also that these circumstances may have affected her NVR and VR scores (but perhaps I am clutching at straws with this part of the argument).

Yes, I think you're right Etienne I need to just briefly mention it.
lgasks

Re: Mitigating Circumstances - Special Measures

Post by lgasks »

capers123 wrote:
Did any other children from that school pass and if so, was it a lower % of children or at a lower mark than expected?
Yes, there were a very few number that passed for this school. I am aware of 3 girls only from the whole school getting in. In terms of expectation I really don't know what the expectations were and I don't know what percentages have got through in previous years. What I do know is that there were quite a few unexpected results this year with children at the top of the class not getting in. Also, the 11+ seems to be a bit of a taboo subject at my DD's Primary school, none of my DD's previous class teachers really wanted to discuss it. However, her current teacher did say that even though most of her class were sitting the 11+ they had no chance of passing but she thought my DD had a good chance of passing. (Apologies if I'm sounding condecending.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

See if you can find a 'nice' quote in the Ofsted report - something along the lines of 'low expectations', 'not catering for the more able' - then it is not YOUR opinion.
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Guest55 wrote:See if you can find a 'nice' quote in the Ofsted report - something along the lines of 'low expectations', 'not catering for the more able' - then it is not YOUR opinion.
Thansk for this Guest55. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find an OFSTED report for the junior school before it amalgamated. I recall seeing one that was really bad. However, the school a few weeks ago has just had an inspection and bearing in mind that things have improved in the last few months, the recent report does not indicate (or could not I suppose) how bad the school has been. I have found the following:

Under Quality of provision sub-heading Teaching and learning It states... "Sometimes work does not provide sufficient levels of challenge for pupils of all abilities." I would say as a whole the report is quite good. Is this a good enough quote?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

lgasks - sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but have you looked in the reports section of the Ofsted website? The bad report you refer to should be there.
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:lgasks - sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but have you looked in the reports section of the Ofsted website? The bad report you refer to should be there.
Yes Bexley Mum 2, I have checked on the net and there does not seem to be any previous Ofsted reports as this school used to be a Junior school. So the current school shows as having formed a couple of years ago with the no trace of reports for the old Junior school. I have checked under the previous Junior school name but there is nothing. I remember being given the report by the school but can't seem to find it.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Knew it was a silly question! But there is a contact number on the Ofsted home page for if you're having difficulty locating a report. Might be worth a quick ring - nothing to lose!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now